The Pill

[Taissa's POV]

"How long are they going to be up there?" I groan becoming more and more anxious with every second. The police had come to talk to Tessa - they'd been up there for nearly 30 minutes. Evan was on the edge of flipping out, this whole thing was upsetting everyone. Olivia had been non stop crying up in till now since she was being occupied by a game on my phone. Quinton was upset, although he tried to hide it.

"Give them a few more minutes," He said as if he was irritated by the question but then he wiped his nose on the back of his hand - his nervous tic. Evan sat next to me with his head lolled back against the couch, just staring at the ceiling. The police of course hadn't been able to find Devin/Sam at the bar Spencer said he worked at. He never went there to visit him before so he could have been lying the whole time. I never knew that  Devin had a son, when he took me to his place there's was no sign that a kid lived there with him. But no wonder - the police informed Evan and I that they assume Spencer was being abused by the way he reacted to every question they asked him. They searched the house and there was no sign of drug or obsessive alcohol use. I truly believe that Devin is a psychopath. I heard the familiar squeak that signalled the 2 police coming down the stairs.

"Finally," Evan mumbled to himself as he lifted his head. They were both in the white uniforms, making them look stocky. The first to walk down the hallway was a woman, hair pulled into a tight brown bun, her face covered in freckles. The man behind her wore the uniform hat, no hair sticking out so it seemed that he was bald. He had a hard look on his face while she look soft and gentle. A yellow notepad was fixed in his hand along with a pen. They stopped outside of the living room until Evan and I get up and follow them to the entry way.

"Have you seen that video?" The man said as I glanced at his name tag - Gordon. Her's read Ava.

"No." Evan shakes his head, curls bobbing with it.

"You don't want to." He reached up to straighten the lip of his cap, sympathy in his eyes. "Do you want to know what happened?" The girl glanced at him them between us. "Tessa let us know that it was okay for you two to know how it happened." I look over to Evan, a knot tangling itself in my stomach. He sighed loudly but nodded, putting an arm my shoulder.

"So the night of the incident, she was over at
Spencer's watching something on TV. He fell asleep around 9:30." The woman read this off the note pad, tapping the pen against the paper as she spoke. "His father came home a half hour later with food that he had brought home. Gave Tessa some, which she thinks was drugged because she fell asleep next to Spencer minutes later. Then she woke up upstairs in a bedroom, with Sam. Both of them naked and he was holding a camera." I hold my breath, trying to ignore what she'd just said but it was nearly impossible. Evans free hand runs over his face roughly, keeping his feelings in. My eyes produce a couple of tears but I keep myself from bursting into full cries. How could I let that happen to my daughter? "We're on a full out investigation to get this man. It's come to my attention that you actually used to know him? You mentioned it when we came in."

"He should already have a record, he used to use the name Devin when he shot me in the arm." Evan continues, while Ava writes everything down. "The police looked for him and found out his name was Sam Puto and that he had only told Taissa the fake name." Both polices eyes swept over to me, and I felt a lump form in my throat.

"What are your relations with Sam?" Gordon asks, knowing eyes locking with mine. His forehead was creased strictly with age. I raise my arm, wiping my face with my sleeve.

"I cheated with him." I cringe inside, but keep a straight face to own to my mistake. Evan arm dropped from my side as he got uncomfortable. The man ta ta'd with his tongue and glanced at the notepad that Ava was still writing on.

"How long and when?" He urges on, scratched the bit of scruff that stuck to his chin.

"I met him at a bar when Evan got in a fight. 18 years ago. When my oldest was 2 weeks old for maybe a week ." I close my eyes now, face growing red from embarrassment. "And again 5 years later for the same amount of time, that time he came and shot Evan."

"And you've had no contact with him since." He asks.

"He left a gun on our step a year later. But we have no proof it was him." Evan mumbles, sounding annoyed again from hearing the spiel.

"Alright, can we head to the living room and ask your other kids some questions." Ava says gently, eyeing Evan sadly. I avoid looking at them as we lead them back. I pull Olivia up off an arm chair and steal her seat, then pull her into my lap. Evan leans on the back of the on Quinton was in while the cops sit down. I gently pull the phone from Olivia's hand, she doesn't refuse after seeing the two on the couch, her eyes growing wide.

"How did you two find out about what happened to Tessa?" Now the woman was talking, most likely because her tone was easier to respond to. Quinton sat up glancing at Olivia before starting.

"It wasn't hard it was all over school. I heard her name in the hallway and instinctively I asked. Then I was shown the video." He says, hands clasped together in his lap. "Olivia was told the same way but on a bus." She nodded, released that Quinton spoke for her.

"Did you tell your parents?" She asks, gesturing to Evan and I.

"Mhm" Olivia hummed, finding my hands and clasping it with her clammy one. "I told mom that I saw the video of her with a m-"

"No, I kept it to myself." Quinton cut her off, frowning at her for going to far. She was shaking slightly, but decided to hold it together. The police asked more questions that neither of them could really say much on and then they wrapped it up and headed out - letting us know that we'd get informed if there's anymore news. I decided that I should check how Tessa was doing so I rush up the stairs and push door open slightly.

"Tess?" I whisper, poking my head in. She was laying in bed, covered in blankets. Her eyes had been puffy for so long it was like it was permanent even though they were shut. I walk in and sit on the edge of her bed, running a hand down her covered back as she breathed deeply through her sleep. "I'm so sorry." I whisper even though she wouldn't hear me. I brush some stray hairs from her face and then get back up to head out.

"Mom." I hear vaguely when I was halfway out the door. My head whips around to see a half sitting up Tessa. "Mom?" She says now her voice trembling. My legs rush over at the sound of her distress.

"What?" I Turow my eye brows watching her expression until she stares back me, a seriousness in her voice.

"That man. Spencer's dad." She said, her lips trembling. "H-he never wore a condom. And I think he-" She stopped knowing that I got what she said and she buried her face in pillow.

My words fell from my mouth because Tessa wasn't on be pill and if he came then-

She could be pregnant.