Wasn't Just A Peck

[Evan's POV]

Tessa was out today with the Spencer kid she's dating. The whole age difference thing worried me, but Taissa insisted that it was fine so I let her go. He did seem like a nice kid.

I sat on the couch, an arm around Taissa, my nose against her head as she spoke. "Can we watch something?" She asks anxiously.

"Am I too boring for you?" I joke, handing her the remote. Out of the corner of my eye I see Quinton, bouncing in and tossing a knapsack over his shoulder.

"Can I go look at some colleges with some friends?" He smiles, messy hair crowding on his forehead.

"I wanted to come," Taissa whines, forgetting about the TV.

"We'll go again; the three of us." He offers holding out his arms.

"Alright that's fine." I hum, his face brightening at the sound. Taissa sighs, sadly beside me. She was having a hard time with the fact that Quinn was going to be out by the end of the school year. They were always so close.

"I promise, Mom." He takes her hand, rolling her fingers between his. Then Quinton jumps up, clasping me on the shoulder and leaning over towards Tai to what I assumed was going to be a hug. "I'm off." He mumbles before my eyes widen as I watch him kiss Taissa on the lips and he lingered. As if it was normal he just walks away - I didn't say anything as I was momentarily stunned and my stomach was flipping upside down.

"What was that?" I finally sputter out, looking at Taissa who was staring blankly into space too.

"What was what?" She asked absentmindedly while avoiding my gaze; I knew that she knew what I was talking about but knowing her she wasn't going to want to say anything about it. He's never done that before - it was alright when he was 12 or younger but now it just seemed weird to me. My hand slide under her chin and turned her face toward me gently.

"Since when does he kiss you like that?" I whisper, and he shrugs her shoulders her big eyes staring into mine. My thumb runs over her lip, feeling the moisture. I didn't know wether to be confused or angry.

"He's our son, it's alright." She tries to defend his case since she was in an awkward position. I find myself frowning.

"It wasn't just a peck." I let go of her chin, sighing heavily.

"Whatever," She said, trying to shake it off. "lets just forget it happened." Her head rolls onto my shoulder and I run a hand through her hair as I always did. Loving the feeling between my fingers.

Was I overthinking?