The Start of the battle

Bette turned the coffee machine on. Leaning against the counter. She closed her eyes slightly. She had barely slept the last couple of days and she knew she needed to rest. Kit walked into the kitchen and looked at her sister. Kit could read her better than most people. She knew when Bette needed rest or time alone. But she also knew that right this family needed everyone's support.

"You need sleep not coffee." Kit said, watching as her sister turned to her.

"It's decaf Kit,"

"Oh right, how is Tina?" Kit loved Tina like a sister, she saw the change she had made in Bette, seeing her baby sister settling down was amazing to her.

"Drained, she's cuddling with Xaiver."

"That kid is getting more energy by the day,"

Bette smiled, Her son had more energy than any of them at the moment. Yet he wanted Tina, when he had seen she had a poorly sore he happily snuggled down with her to watch TV.

"Yeah he is very healthy. Angie is good. Thank you for watching them."

"We are going to support you, you're going to need help with the kids and Tina and we all want to help."

"Thanks, Tina's scared."

"So are you," Kit said reading her sister well. As always.

"I am, the moment anyone uses the word cancer a dread comes over you. I know her chances are good, I've spoken to the doctor. I understand what going to happen. I just don't think I'm ready for it."

"None of us are. No one every expects so much crap to call on them. Tina will get through this."

"I...don't want to lose her," Tears started to fall down Bette's eyes and her sister took her in her arms and held her close.

"We will do everything in our power to make sure that doesn't happen. We will be here, when you need us, you've both got a great support network that you're going to have to use. You need to rest, instead of making coffee, you should be upstairs, snuggled with your wife and kids watching TV."

"I'm just gonna get a cup and head up,"

"Good, enjoy your time as a family, hold you wife, let you daughter sleep on your chest, laugh with your son. Makes memories." Kit smiled as she rubbed her sisters back. "I'm going home, but I'm just a phone call away okay,"

"Thanks Kit,"

"Always."

****

Tina sat in her studio looking around at the paints, she smiled to herself. This was perfect, she was feeling low and she knew she had to do something to lift her mood. She didn't want to fall into that dark place in her mind. She took out a canvas, and started slowly painting. Not caring what she was painting. She was using a mixture of dark colours with the shafts of bright light. She wanted to create. Her left arm still had the shakes and she was suddenly glad that she was right handed.

Bette walked down to the studio with a bottle of water and a sandwich. She wanted to make sure her wife was okay. When she walked in she smiled, Tina was sat at her work desk, painting softly.

"Honey," Bette said as she walked in.

"Hey,"

"You need to eat, take some pain meds, you know the usual." Bette said putting the sandwich down and the bottle of water, she took Tina's medication out of her pocket.

"The usual," Tina said as she slowly put her paint brush down.

"You okay?" Bette asked as she walked around and saw the darkness on the canvas,

"Yeah, I'm just trying to express my emotions. The light is the goods bits, you, the kids, the black is the shit that happens." Tina explained as she slowly opened her water, she took a long sip before picking up her sandwich and starting to eat.

"it's amazing,"

"You say that about all more work,"

"That's because Ms Kennard you're a very talented artist."

Tina smiled softly.

"You may be a little bias,"

"Because we are married?"

"Mmm,"

"Well I will be bias for the rest of my life then because I think you're amazing. I'm in awe of your talent. You know that."

Bette took in her wife, she could see the pain in her eyes,

"You need to rest,"

"I will," Tina said softly. "I just needed half an hour here."

"You've been down here two hours."

"I always seem to lose track of time.

"I know baby, maybe, eat, finish up and come back inside,"

"I think I'll just come in," Tina admitted, she yawned. her body was still weak after surgery and tomorrow was going to be along day for them.

"Okay, come on," Bette picked up the sandwich and water and Tina smiled

She closed up the studio and walked into the house, Bette had put everything onto the coffee table and indicated for Tina to make herself comfortable.

Tina did as she was asked and sat in her favourite chair, putting her feet up, Bette picked up her sandwich and passed it to her. Tina looked at her wife and smiled.

"You know before I met you I was lost," Tina said, "My demons were hidden, yet you loved me anyways. You understand me, I love you, I'm lucky to have you,"

"I'm lucky to have you, my God Ti, look at this life we've built." Bette smiled, as she sat on the coffee table looking at her wife.

"When we were first together I remember being in a bathroom, maybe in the Planet and someone said, 'do you know the great Bette Porter has been tamed,' i hope I've give you a better life,"

"Much better, trust me." Bette smiled.

"I'm going to win this battle Bette," Tina said softly. "It's going to be a long road, but I'm going to win it. For you, for a children and for me."

Bette smiled,

"I believe in you. we've got this." Bette said,