The Date

Bette smiled as the waiter pulled out Tina's chair. Tina looked confused but she thanked the young man and sat herself down, taking her napkin and placing it on her lap. Bette was enjoying Tina's outfit, Tina was wearing a purple dress, that was moulded to her body, her hair was pinned up and her feet were in heels. she had dressed to impress, as Bette already knew that Tina preferred to be comfortable.

Tina looked down at the menu that had been placed in front of her, before looking up and catching Bette's eyes on her. she smiled, Bette looked stunning in a skirt business suit and a pink shirt, open at the collar, her hair was lose around her face.

"This place is nice,"

"Yeah I like it here, it's quiet and the food is really good." Bette grinned, "I wanted you to be as relaxed as possible so we can get to know each other,"

"That's very kind of you," Tina crossed her hands over the menu and looked at Bette as the waiter walked over,

"May I get you both a drink?" The waiter asked, Bette looked at Tina,

"Would you like some wine?" Bette asked

"Please,"

"Red or white?"

"Red please,"

"The bottle of red please, with two glasses,"

"Sure," The waiter knew Bette's tastes and knew what kind of wine to get, he left.

Tina looked at the menu, deciding on her food.

"I want to get to know you, tonight that, if you don't mind?" Bette said softly

"I would like to get to know you too," Tina looked up and smiled as Bette put her glasses on to read the menu. "You're very sexy in glasses," Tina's voice was small, but Bette caught it, she smiled.

"Thank you, reading glasses came with age,"

"How old are you? God, sorry that was rude," Tina backstepped she rubbed her neck. She was nervous.

"Tina, it's fine, we are supposed to be getting to know each other, I'm 39." Bette replied smiling,

Tina nodded. The waiter returned with their wine and they both ordered, with Tina ordering the steak and Bette ordering chicken, knowing the wine wouldn't go with it but she didn't care. She watched as Tina took a sip of her drink.

"Wow this wine is good," Tina said softly

"Yeah, it's a nice red this one." Bette grinned. They were silent for a moment, Bette took a breath, "Why did you choose law at college and not art?"

"My father, he was a lawyer. He wanted me to follow in his footsteps he called art a shit career and told me I wouldn't make anything of myself. I hated the thought of going into an office everyday or going into court everyday and running peoples lives. I don't want that. I know I could make money, good money being a lawyer but its just not what I want. It's not me. I'm happiest in my studio, or in the dark room producing my work. I'm happiest when I'm painting or taking photos. I was never happy studying law. I enjoyed college, I loved the people that I meet but law just wasn't for me,"

"But you finished?"

"Yes with a first but it doesn't mean I want to do it," Tina smiled.

"Wow,"

"Where did you go?"

"I studied at Yale, Art and Art History. I also got a first, my mother painted and I feel in love with art then," Bette smiled sadly. "My mother died when I was four, my father was a cheat and she committed suicide." It was rare that Bette even mentioned her mother but she wanted Tina to know everything about her.