First Night Out

Tina sat with her eyes closed as Bette drove towards the Planet, it was the first time they were going out since Tina's seizure. She was very calm and relaxed, she had taken up yoga and was sleeping well. She had started drawing again but they were pencil drawings. Tonight they were going to celebrate Alice's birthday.

They pulled up into space and Bette feed the metre as Tina got out of the ar. She yawned.

"Are you okay?" Bette asked as she picked up the present they had bought for Alice. She took her wife's hand.

"Yeah I'm good, you don't need to worry,"

"I will always worry,"

"I'm fine, honestly," Tina said as she moved closer to her wife, her body pressing against Bette's arm as they made their way towards the Planet. "I will tell you if and when I get to tired for all this okay?"

"Okay, I know you will," Bette was just glad that Tina was here. They walked into the Planet and the place was busy, Bette could see that the girls were all around a large table in the outside area. They walked over,

"Happy birthday Alice," Bette said as they approached the table. Alice got up and hugged them both,

"Thank you, I didn't think you'd come,"

"Ti's feeling okay but if she gets tired we will be going home," Bette said,

Tina tensed slightly as Alice hugged her, she still wasn't comfortable with people touching her.

"I'm so happy you are here," Alice whispered and Tina smiled, as Alice pulled away

"Happy birthday," Tina moved and took a seat next to Shane with a seat the other side of her free for Bette.

"Can I get you a drink babe?" Bette asked as she rubbed her wife's shoulder.

"A mocktail would be great," Tina replied. Smiling

Bette smiled and walked away towards the bar. She stood waiting tapping her fingers on bar.

"Wow the great Bette Porter," A woman said beside her, Bette turned and looked at a woman she'd not seen in years.

"Kelly Wentworth," Bette said, "What are you doing in a gay bar?"

"Keeping my options open." Kelly replied as she flicked her hair. "You?"

"Celebrating one of my best friends birthdays," Bette smiled,

"Rumour has it that you're no longer living in West Hollywood,"

"You keep up with rumour?" Bette asked as the bar tender walked over and she ordered a glass of wine for herself and mocktail that she knew Tina would enjoy.

"I've always enjoyed gossip, you should know that," Kelly smiled,

"Yeah some things never changed," Bette nodded, she wasn't really interested in the conversation.

"Are you still a gay?"

"Sorry?"

"Are you still dating women?" Kelly asked.

Bette frowned. She had gone to college with Kelly and they had once been very good friends.

"I'm married to a woman, surely you heard that on your gossip line," Bette replied as she took out her card to pay for the drinks.

"Well I heard you've married an artist. A very talented artist."

"Yet you still asked the question,"

"I was making sure the information was correct." Kelly grinned,

Tina had been watching and had decided to go to Bette, she caught the end of the conversation as she walked up and slipped her hand into Bette's. Bette turned and smiled at her wife. Kelly had never seen Bette smile so brightly.

"Hey babe,"

"Hey," Tina smiled,

"Erm, Tina Kennard this is Kelly Wentworth, we went to Yale together, well, she was an undergrad when I was post grad."

Tina nodded

"Hi,"

"Tina Kennard," Kelly said, "I own one of your pieces, Scared of the Dark,"

Tina smiled that was a piece that had been sold in her group show in New York.

"I hope you enjoy it," Tina said softly.

"I do, I love it. I didn't realise you were married to Bette,"

"Most people don't," Tina smiled softly before looking at her wife, she felt very uncomfortable.

"I'm gutted I didn't see your show at Bette's gallery,"

"You knew about that," Bette said,

"Yes, when I looked on Tina's website the painting I wanted had sold."

"Which one?" Bette asked as she paid for the drinks as they were put onto the bar.

"Naked,"

"oh that wasn't for sale," Tina said softly.

"Why not?"

"It's a private work, I just chose to show it," Tina commented.

"Right,"

"Baby we should get back to our friends," Bette said

"it was nice to meet you," Kelly said to Tina.

"You two." Tina said politely before picking up her own drink and walking with Bette back to the group.

"She's erm different,"

"She's not gay," Bette said knowing that Tina was insecure.

"That hasn't stopped women wanting you Bette, I've heard the stories," Tina said as they approached the table, Bette put her drink down and sat down pulling Tina onto her lap. Tina put her drink down and wrapped her arms around her wife, not usually one for PDA's but right now she knew that Bette was reassuring her that she wanted.

"Listen," Bette whispered into her wife's ear, "I love you, you're the love of my life. I only want you and I only want to be wanted by you. I married you because I love you. I don't want anyone else. I will never cheat on you."

"I know," Tina pressed for forehead against Bette's. "I get jealous when other women want you. you're mine. You're my first, last and forever. I look at you sometimes and think what more could I want. You've changed my life so much. You've changed your life completely to be with me and you didn't have too. I'm honoured you chose me. I love you Bette Porter. I know other women want you, I'm just the lucky woman you chose"

Bette smiled before kissing her wife.

"Can you two put each other down please it' my birthday," Alice laughed.

Tina and Bette broke apart laughing.

***

Tina had managed most of the evening but as midnight came she yawned and Bette knew that her wife was ready to go home and they had made their goodbyes for the drive back. When they had arrived home, Tina was already asleep in the passenger seat. Bette knew she had to wake her, for her to take her meds and get her into house. once they were settled into bed, Tina curled her body around Bette, her head on her wife's shoulder as she fell asleep. Bette held her wife, she was glad that she had her wife in her life. she had never felt so complete seeing Kelly this evening had made the feelings that she'd had in college resurface but she took one look at Tina and knew that her love was total and utter.