Business Talk

Tina felt undressed as soon as she saw the restaurant. She wasn't one for dressing up but this place looked expensive. She was wearing dress pants and a nice top with a jacket over the top. She nervously played with the bottom of her jacket as she stood waiting to get to the waiter who was taking everyone's names. She wasn't used to this, she'd only dealt with small galleries and she knew that Bette Porter was bit time.

Tina looked at the waiter, who looked very smartly dress.

"May I assist you Ma'am."

"Yeah, erm, sorry erm. Porter party?"

"Agh yes, this way." He picked up a leather bond menu and Tina followed him into the busy restaurant they walked through everyone and Tina felt like all eyes were on her. she tired to look forward and just follow the man showing her to the table. Bette was sitting in a quiet corner taking in the wine menu, "Ms Porter, your dinner guest has arrived,"

Bette got up and smiled at Tina. smiling.

"Hello Tina,"

"Hi," The waiter pulled her chair out and Tina sat, she was very uncomfortable. This was not what she was expecting. The waiter flicked up the menu and put it down before leaving them.

"Are you okay?" Bette asked, looking at her.

Tina nodded. She couldn't speak she looked around. she couldn't afford to eat here. not until she sold at least six or seven of her best paintings.

"Are you sure?"

"Erm, yes, sorry," Tina nodded and rubbed the back of her neck before looking down at the menu.

"You're not, you're not even at ease, what's the matter?"

"I don't think you'd understand." Tina almost bobbed her head as she spoke.

"Try me,"

"I'm not used to being wined and dined like this, maybe I should have checked the dress code, I feel very underdressed. All the galleries I've shown in have been a lot smaller than yours. I'm not sure I'm up to your standards." Tina picked up the glass of water but her hand was shaking and she put it down again right away out of fear she would drop it and cause a scene. The last thing she wanted was to mess up this deal.

Bette watched her. before removing her glasses and pacing them on top of the menu. She crossed her hands. She smiled softly at the woman in front of her.

"I'm trying to impress you," Bette said slowly, "You're the artist. You're being asked to show at a number of galleries, I know that. I spoke with Gina at Mocha and she says that you've refused dinner with them."

"You want to impress me?" Tina was confused. She was sure that she was the one who had to impress the gallery to get them to show her work.

"Yes, how many galleries have offered to show you since your show in New York,"

"Five, well six including you,"

"And how many have you been to dinner with?"

"Just you," Tina replied.

"When I spoke to Gina she said you're a recluse. You paint, you list on your website and you do very small shows. You're a big time artist." Bette said slowly

"I think you're mistaken. I'm not big-time. I'm bare small time. my paints sell for penny's. The New York show was me being in the right place at the right time. I never expected to even get a solo show never mind one in New York. Look I think I'm wasting your time." Tina got up and made her way out of the restaurant she didn't want to be here. this wasn't who she was.