8-IV

Morning arrives...

...

..

.

The sun rose over the horizon, signaling the start of a brand new day. Its radiant rays shone through the little gap in the window, illuminating the entire room.

"Mnnguh..." Odette shielded her face with her forearm, disturbed by the sudden entrance of light. She shifted around in her bed, reaching out to Valor and craving his warmth. However...

"... Mnh?" she opened her eyes, blinking a few times. She felt... lonely. There was a distinct warmth she couldn't sense. Raising her body by her elbows, she looked around the bed, then the room, and realized she was alone.

"Valor?" she called out, feeling a little unease. I... didn't have a nightmare, which surprised her. But she had no doubt Valor would come running to her aid if she did. She pushed herself off the bed and got on to her wheelchair. Is he outside? Rolling her wheels, she navigated outside of his room.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

The sounds of metal banging against something echoed through the house. It seemed to be coming from outside and behind the house. Is there construction work? That was Odette's guess. She navigated around the living room and reached the backdoor.

Valor has never allowed me to come here...

He always had some work to do behind this door during the night. She reached her hand towards the handle, hesitating for a moment. I know I shouldn't be here but... curiosity got the best of her, so she grabbed the handle and pushed the door open. She pushed herself inside and saw a huge, dimly lit room. Gray coverings were plastered everywhere. What... is this place-

BUMP!

"Ah?!" Odette was knocked off her wheelchair and fell on her back. Her wheelchair fell down sideways, being shifted by her weight.

"Oh, sorry!" a voice apologized, one that didn't belong to Valor. "I didn't see you there."

"N-No, it's fine..." Odette pushed herself up, rubbing his forehead. She lifted her head up to look at this person...

A girl of short stature wearing a Chinese-style dress fitted her figure. Two mouse ears poked out of her fiery red hair. A black and smooth tail curled from around her back.

Two mouse ears. A black tail...

The realization left Odette frozen. Her eyes diminished in shock.

"Here, let me help you up." She extended her arm out towards her-

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" Odette shifted herself back quickly, fear surging through her entire body.

"H-Huh...?" she retracted her arm in surprise.

"DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!" Odette hissed, unable to control her fears. Her body began trembling at the sight of another monstergirl-a hinezumi.

"I'm not going to hurt you!" she raised her palms in front of her while approaching Odette.

"GO AWAY!" Odette cried out. Past memories were rushing through her mind.

"Odette?!" Hearing her shouts, Valor rushed to her side and hugged her from behind. When did she get here?!

"Valor...!" Odette quickly held on to his hand, intertwining her fingers with his.

"Oh, you're Odette?" the hinezumi placed her hands on her hips, pondering the name. "Wow, that took me a while to figure out! So you're the mermaid!"

"V-Valor..." her lips shivered. This monstergirl was a bit too... energetic. She wanted to ask what was a monstergirl doing out here, but couldn't force the words out of her mouth, as if a lump was stuck in her throat.