16-VII

A few days have passed since then. Staricor made a full recovery and was out of the infirmary. It surprised the human members to know they fought alongside an alpha all this time. But they didn't treat him any differently. There were mixed feelings but he was still their ally. It'd take time for the situation to settle down.

"So, Nanashi..." Acer folded his arms. "I trust I can leave Staricor in your care?"

"Yes." Nanashi nodded. "He is my responsibility."

"T-Thank you, Commander!" Staricor bowed at his waist. "For giving me a second chance!"

"You should be thanking your Captain." Acer sighed. "If it were me, you wouldn't be here right now."

"O-Oh..." Staricor gulped. I did break his trust in me...

"I jest." Acer chuckled. "While I'd like to welcome you back to the squad, I think consequences are in order."

"Y-Yes, Commander!" Staricor slammed a fist into his chest. "I'm ready to accept any consequence!"

"I like your spirit." Acer glanced at Nanashi. "I'll leave it to you, then."

"Me?" Nanashi pointed at himself.

Acer winked. "You'd know what's fitting for an inhuman."

After their little talk, Acer left to meet with the other members, leaving the two inhumans alone.

Staricor held his collar. "I'm... grateful that Commander is allowing me to stay with you guys."

"Acer is... kind," Nanashi said. "He's relieved you're doing fine."

It doesn't seem that way. Staricor coughed a few times. I'd say he wanted me dead.

"So, uh... Nanashi." He scratched his cheek nervously. "What consequences do you have in mind...?"

"Nothing."

"... What?"

"I want you to watch yourself around Evelyn." Nanashi looked over the younger inhuman's shoulder. "Like... right now."

"Huh...?" Staricor blinked twice. "What do you mean right n–AAHKK?!"

"Helloooo~!" Evelyn slammed her head against his back. "Good to see you, Staricor!"

"Ouch, Evelyn..." Staricor turned around, rubbing his back. My back...! "Good to see you, too."

"Evelyn, if you feel he is a threat..." Nanashi raised his hand, showing his wristwatch. "You know what to do."

"Yes, sir!" Evelyn drew her hand to her head. "You'll come and kick his ass for me!"

"... I'm standing right here, you know." Staricor sighed. I do not want an ass-kicking from Nanashi.

"I'm sure you two need some time to catch up." Nanashi turned away. "I'll be heading on a mission."

"Oh, are you going alone?" Staricor asked.

"No, Violette will be there," Nanashi replied. "It was actually her idea."

"Ohoh~...!" Evelyn giggled behind her hand. Is this a date disguised under a mission? Violette, you sneaky girl!

"I'll see you two soon." Nanashi waved, then left the two inhumans alone.

I guess Nanashi wouldn't want me on a mission so soon. Staricor thought. But is it a good idea to leave me with Evelyn...? He thought Violette would be more concerned. Do they... still trust me this much? After everything that happened?