14-V

"Please... don't be sorry."

Alessandra inched closer to him and drew her other hand to his cheek. She caressed his cheek ever so slightly, her fingers soft and caring to his skin. It was soothing to the sorrows residing in his heart.

"I want to listen to all your worries." She rubbed her thumb over his cheek. "I want to be a shoulder you can cry on."

"Alex..."

"None of this... is your fault." Her hand curled around his, wanting to comfort him. "This life was forced upon you. You were simply following orders."

"I've... taken people's lives." He bowed his head. "I don't know if they deserved it."

"And none of them were innocent lives." She replied. "I can't say whether they deserved it, but you were asked to take care of those who were a threat to the existence of the royal family."

"That may be true but..." he never hurt an innocent person. It was always high-profile criminals.

"You've also saved lives." A sweet smile graced her lips. "You're a protector of the royal family."

"... Never heard that one before." He cracked a smile. A protector, huh...? He never considered himself one. Maybe that was true to some degree. He was reminded of a time when little Eryn and the princess were in danger. If a man is willing to kill, then death is a path he allows unto him.

"I've never been in your position, so I can't imagine the feelings you go through every day." She brushed his hair over his ear. "I want to be here for you... to make those feelings bearable, even just a little."

"... You're really sweet, Alex." He smiled. Her words were sincere. "I feel... undeserving of your affection."

"As your wife, it's only natural to care for you." A faint blush grew on her cheeks.

"Is that so?" he held back a wide smile. It was endearing she still called herself his wife. Not that I'm not against it. "May I ask you something, Alex?"

"Yes?"

"Why did you challenge me just to ask for my hand in marriage?" he raised a brow, curious. "I feel you could have asked me directly."

"I... wanted to prove my strength to you, Glyde," she answered, "to show I could be worthy of being your wife."

"Was that really necessary?" he chuckled. Alessandra was the strongest knight in the entire family; she didn't have to prove anything. He always admired her.

"A-And I wanted to be sure you'd... accept my proposal." She blushed, twiddling with her fingers. "Using the blood rite was my backup plan."

"I see." He smiled, figuring that would be the case. That sounds just like her. It was uncharacteristic of her to resort to such measures, but it was adorable in its own right. "I hope I can be... a husband worthy of your love, Alex."

"You are." She leaned close to his face, touching their foreheads together. It's why I've chosen you, Glyde...

"Alex..." He gently nuzzled into her head. This feels... nice. After such a long time, he didn't feel alone in the world. There was someone he could connect with. Someone who wanted to support him. A warmth spread through his chest, making his heart fuzzy. I've missed this feeling. To think the Goddess Knight could defeat him and make him feel... loved.

He focused on her face, drawn to her features. His eyes captured her supple cheeks and luscious lips which glistened with wetness. She was practically glowing in the hot springs. Up close, her skin is... beautiful. His eyes moved further down and caught sight of her impressive cleavage, being held by her towel. N-No, I mustn't stare! She may be his wife-to-be; that didn't mean he could ogle her (at least, that's what he believed.) He snapped his gaze down to avoid her breasts–but caught sight of something else instead.