13-II

Where Nanashi lived, it wasn't very far from the headquarters. It's a 15-minute walking distance, but he could make the trip in a few minutes, thanks to his inhuman capabilities.

With his key, he pushed the door open and locked it behind him. I need to change my clothes.

Moving through the hallways, he walked past a lit room and heard mechanical sounds coming from within. Curiosity getting the best of him, he peeked through the little gap in the door.

A girl, only in her underwear, was operating a computer on the farthest side of the room. An aggressive frown adorned her face, with sounds of frustration leaving her lips.

Violette... is she calibrating herself?

Nanashi slowly stepped away from the room, returning to his original intention–his room. He stared at his right arm, his eyes tracing the faintly visible veins lining up his hand. It's been a while since I've undergone calibration.

He quickly stripped out of all his clothes except his pants, tossed them in the laundry basket, and dropped his weapon on the floor. He then moved to a full-body mirror. His eyes scanned the entire body in the reflection. Injuries, cuts, lacerations, blood marks... they were all visible on his bare body. My regeneration is not optimal, huh?

Turning around, he left his room and went straight to the Calibration Room where Violette was. Nanashi pushed the door open, the sound of metal scraping against the floor. It wasn't the obvious sound that alerted his presence to Violette, but rather the fact she also had heightened senses.

"Captain?" Violette turned around. Her eyes widened, seeing the injuries scattered across his skin.

"Don't mind me." He waved. "I'm here to do some calibration as well."

"Your body..." she walked to him, worries evident in every footstep. "What happened to you?"

"Must have been the last several battles." He shrugged.

"You need to take care of yourself..." she gently placed a hand on his chest. "You worry me a lot, you know that?"

At the mere touch of her slender fingers, his body heat rose indefinitely, igniting certain feelings in his heart. Feelings he didn't understand.

"Worrying's all you ever do." He cast his eyes away.

"That's my job." She gave a soft smile. Her fingers traveled across his battered skin, carefully avoiding his wounds. "You've always been looking out for me, Evelyn, and Staricor. Someone has to look out for you."

"... Mhmm."

Violette's eyes traced the multiple scars prominent on his right arm. Each scar had its own painful story to tell. Stories she vividly remembers in her heart. Her fingers brushed against the biggest scar on his arm with such a careful tenderness.

"So, is touching me part of your calibration?" he asked in a serious tone.

"... Ah." Violette pulled her hand away and chuckled awkwardly. A blush crept on her cheeks. "Sorry, you can calibrate yourself first."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, please go ahead." She stepped away and let him use the calibration machine.

"If you say so." Nanashi stood in front of the machine. He grabbed the cuff and strapped it around his right arm. After configuring several settings, the machine started and the cuff gradually tightened around his skin, taking in data of his blood and condition. Numbers began generating on the monitor in front of him. He flexed his right arm, letting the veins bulge out of his skin.