16-VI

"...!"

Staricor's eyes shot open. A pain rang through his mind. Ough, my head...! He tried to grip his head but couldn't. His right arm was gone. What the...?! I can't regenerate it...? His other arm was still intact but was chained to the bed. It kinda stings... wait, where am I? He scanned his surroundings. I'm... in the infirmary? What am I doing here?

"I've always found it odd that you were researching the alpha inhumans." A chair slammed to the floor beside the bed. "That you wanted to find a way to bring them back to their senses. Essentially, curing them."

Staricor tensed up, shivers crawling up his spine. He quickly turned to the voice. "C-Commander?!"

"Couple that with the fact you never wanted to be alone with Evelyn." Acer sat on the chair and crossed his legs. "Nanashi and Violette always had to be there."

W-What is he talking about...? Staricor wracked his mind for an explanation. What's going on? Did he chain me here?

Acer tossed some capsules on the table. "From the beginning, you've never taken the omega suppressants."

Staricor froze. He felt his heart drop to his stomach. Those are mine ...

"You're lucky Nanashi didn't claim your life." Acer folded his arms. "It was tough... trying to bring you back to your senses."

Staricor's eyes widened. Nanashi... killing me?! Why would the Captain want him dead? Did I do something wrong?!

"It seems your mind's a little dizzy. Let me refresh your memory." Acer's gaze darkened. "Evelyn was with you in the lab. You lost control and tried to assault her."

Staricor gritted his teeth. I... attacked Evelyn? Why would I hurt her...? He traced back his steps. I was in the lab with Evelyn. He remembered that clearly. And then... and then...!

"Who would have thought that an omega's worst threat," Acer stood up and walked to his bedside, "was our dear friend and ally the entire time."

The Commander's gaze peered into his soul. Staricor couldn't meet his eyes. He could feel the rage radiating off him.

Acer stared at the heartbeat monitor. A few beeps went by. "Here are two scenarios that could happen very soon..."

Staricor was afraid. Very afraid. His rapid heartbeats echoed in his ears. The Commander's presence was already terrifying. His words and gaze only amplified that.

"I don't take kindly to alphas, you see. I can kill you right here, right now." Acer slammed his palm against his pillow, his eyes seething with murderous intent. "And no one would ever know. I could make it look like you were beyond saving."

Staricor trembled, backing himself into the pillow. Acer didn't participate in the missions often, but when he did, he was supposedly a brutal fighter. His skills rivaled that of even Nanashi. Even if Staricor could transform right now, that would give Acer more reasons to brutalize him.

"Or... you can pretend I just didn't say that." Acer stepped away. "And I'll let Nanashi deal with you. Whatever he does to you is out of my control."

Nanashi. Staricor clenched his eyes shut. How could he face his Captain after this (if he was making it out alive?) I broke his trust in me...! He stood no chance against the strongest inhuman.

"So, what will it be?" Acer gripped Staricor's collar and dragged him up. "Whose hand would you rather die by? A human or an inhuman?"

Staricor couldn't breathe. The atmosphere around him felt suffocating. Genuine fear coursed through his veins. This... is all my fault. The consequences of his actions. He never wanted any of this to happen. The bonds he forged with his friends would soon evaporate. The life he built here would be destroyed. Maybe paying with my life is–...