Chapter One

Aurora

"Rory, shift your arse, we're gan be late!" the voice of my best friend sang from the bottom of the stairs.

"I'll be just a minute now, Sam!" I replied with a roll of my eyes as I swiped the clear gloss over my lips. I hastily grabbed the leather jacket off the back of my door, throwing it on as I hurried down the stairs, carefully pulling my hair from inside it to not mess it up. "See, I wasn't that long!" Sam stood frozen for a second, staring at me like I had a second head. "Uh, Sam?"

"Who the fuck are you trying to impress dressed like that?" he asked incredulously, his mouth slightly agape.

"What? No one!" I could feel the warmth in my cheeks immediately and hoped that the previously applied blush would hide the fact.

"Tell that to your face! I've not once seen you with an ounce of makeup on," he said.

"It's none of your business," I mumbled so quietly I was certain Sam wouldn't hear.

"So there is someone?" he grinned, taking great joy at the way my face reddened. My silence was answer enough. "Our little Rory's got a crush!"

"Shut up, Fender!" I growled, pulling the front door open and beginning the trek towards Dean's house. It was our morning routine, Sam would walk to mine to get me before we'd go to Dean's and then to school. It started not long after the three of us met and nothing had changed. Well, excluding when one of us was ill.

I heard Sam's laugh as he ran to catch up with me. "Who is it then?" he teased.

"Am not telling ya if you're just gan take the piss, Sam," I mumbled.

"Ah, come on lass, I'm only joking," he told me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into his side. I immediately felt dwarfed by the height difference between us, only coming up to his shoulder. My legs felt weak as the strong scent of his aftershave invaded my nose, vanilla with a hint of bergamot and nutmeg. It was the same aftershave he used every day and it was my all-time favourite. He just smelled so good whenever he wore it, which was always. "Ya know Dean's just gonna ask you the same thing, don't ya?"

"Is it really that obvious?" I frowned avoiding making eye contact with him, an easy enough job whilst tucked into his side, suddenly feeling like a nob for doing myself up for a boy that probably won't take a second glance at me.

"Just a little," he grinned, not noticing the grimace present on my face. I scowled in embarrassment, shoving his arm away from me and turning away from him to hide my face, his teasing grin dissipating immediately. "Rory, you look fucking stunnin' with or without makeup. And if this dickhead doesn't think so then he's fucking delusional."

I instantly felt my face becoming warm once more and I was suddenly glad my face was hidden from his view. An unfamiliar pit formed in my stomach, almost like a flutter. Sam had never complimented me like that before. He thought I was stunning? I was practically floundering like a fish, unable to form a reply. I had never been put in that situation before, my words escaping me but luckily I was saved by Dean bursting through the front door of his house. I was so distracted I hadn't even noticed that we'd made it to his or stopped.

"Alreet?" he grinned, doing a double-take at me once he'd noticed the makeup adorning my face. "Who the fuck are you trying to impress, lass?"

I let out a frustrated groan, ignoring Dean's questioning look and instead chose to carry on walking, leaving behind the two bewildered boys.

Sam

Dean quickly forgot about the questioning of Rory's new look after I told him that I would explain later and made conversation with Rory as the three of us made our way to school. I didn't pay the two any mind, I didn't even know what they were talking about, too lost in my own head to pay attention. There was a pit at the bottom of my stomach and I didn't like it. When I had seen Rory for the first time this morning, I felt light but that light was crushed when I came to the realisation that my best friend had a crush. I was jealous. I knew I was. It wasn't hard to admit but I blamed it on the thought of my best friend having her attention pulled by someone who wasn't me or Dean. This was new territory, it had been just the three of us since we'd adopted Rory into the group, so it wasn't something that I had to worry about before. But here I was and I despised it. I found myself secretly hoping that she would soon get over this crush.