Chapter One Hundred and Fifteen

Aurora

A pounding on the door to my flat tore me from my thoughts as I lay across my sofa, feeling rather pathetic about myself. It had been a week since the BRITs and Sam had DM'd me just two days ago. Not that I had shared that information with anyone yet. I wasn't quite sure how. Instead, I locked myself away in my flat and ordered food in, not bothering to reply to anyone's texts.

"Rory Nightingale, open the fuckin' door!" Lewis grumbled. "I know you're in there."

"Go away!" I huffed.

"Don't make me break the door down," he warned.

"You wouldn't," I gaped.

"Try me!" he taunted.

"Alreet, alreet!" I exclaimed, reluctantly pulling myself up from the sofa and unlocking the door to let him in. "What yer doing here?"

"Er, I'm worried about you," he deadpanned as the two of us settled on the sofa.

"Why?"

"Ya can't be serious?" he gaped, staring at me in disbelief. "Rory, you haven't answered anyone's calls or texts since the awards, which Niall reckons he watched you have a mental breakdown at. What the fuck was that about?"

"I'm... fine," I shrugged, although Lewis saw right through it.

"Yeah, well, I'm not buying it," he told me. "Spill."

I let out a bitter laugh, "Y'kna how I knew Sam?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "I still can't fucking believe you knew Sam Fender and never mentioned it."

"Aye, there's a reason I never mentioned it," I muttered. "I've known Sam since I was thirteen."

"Christ, that's a long time," he frowned. "Why would you keep the fact you were friends a secret?"

"I didn't," I shrugged.

"But..." he trailed, confusion lacing his words. "You just said..."

"I didn't keep it a secret because we're not friends anymore," I told him as my lips pulled into a tight line. "I haven't spoken to Sam since I left Shields almost three years ago now."

"Why? What happened?" he asked curiously.

"We broke up," I smiled sadly, watching as Lewis' eyes widened and his jaw dropped in disbelief. The emotions on his face kept changing, from shock to uncertainty to anger.

"Sam Fender's the cunt that broke your heart?" he demanded, his nostrils flaring slightly at the revelation. I nodded. "Jesus, Rory. Why didn't you say anything? God, and there's me trying to introduce the two of ya!"

"I dunna, he was three hundred miles away so I stopped thinking about him." What a complete lie. I hadn't stopped thinking about Sam in almost three years. He was constantly on my mind. "I completely forgot that he was gan be at the BRITs until I saw him when Niall and I went up for the award."

"That's why you were stumbling," he pointed out. I nodded. "He went after you."

"Yeah, he did," I laughed bitterly.

"What happened?" he frowned.

"He tried apologising," I explained. "Told me he missed me and that none of the success mattered without me."

"Really?" he gaped. "What did you say to him?"

"Said that he was gan have to find some meaning for it 'cause I wasn't going back there with him," I scoffed.

"Good on you for standing up for yourself," he praised me as he patted my knee.

"I've played the mug too many times to get sucked back into it all," I admitted sadly. "He DM'd me. Few days ago. Apologising again." I grabbed my phone from beside me and pulled up the messages before passing it to Lewis, who studied the screen with a frown.

"Would you? Ever forgive him?" he inquired as he finished reading.

"Part of me already has," I whispered. "The sixteen-year-old that followed him around like a lost puppy and let him walk all over me. She's begging me to give him a second chance."

"And the other part?" he questioned although I'm sure he already knew the answer.

"Knows that it wouldn't be a second chance. It wouldn't even be a third or fourth, even fifth," I sighed sadly. "Y'kna what they say, apology without change is just manipulation and I was but a puppet in Sam's story."

"It has been almost three years," Lewis pointed out. "I hate to play Devil's advocate but he might have changed. I know I don't know him like you did but he seems more mature than half of the cunts I've met in the industry."

"Maybe," I shrugged. "But he's the reason I've got trust issues. I guess he's just gan have to keep his word and prove that he means it."

"All I'll say is that he won the award I should have, so I'm more than happy to hate him," he spoke dryly.

I burst into laughter at his words—typical Lewis. "Maybe hate's a strong word," I giggled.

"Not for what I'm feeling about him," he commented nonchalantly, eliciting a loud snort from me.