Chapter One Hundred and Thirteen

Sam

"Rory," I breathed as I watched her face fall. She had changed a lot in the almost three years I hadn't seen her, her face fuller; healthier and her eyes holding the mirth they once did so long ago, the glint that I had stamped out.

"Sam," she swallowed thickly, her plump lips pulled into a tight line.

"You two know each other?" Lewis laughed loudly, blissfully unaware of the tension between us that I felt like I was choking on.

"Yeah," she mumbled.

"Ya didn't mention that one!" he snorted. "And here's me trying to introduce the both of you."

"I'm sorry, Lew, I've got a bunch of interviews that Helen wants me to do," she muttered. It might have been coming up to three years of radio silence but I could still read her like a book and knew that at any second her unshifting facade would shatter.

"Uh, okay," he frowned.

"I'll see yer later," she smiled before turning towards me but just as I was expecting her to speak to me, I realised it wasn't me she was looking at. Rather past me. "It was lush meeting yer, Tom. Owain, Joe, it's nice to see yous again."

"I'll call yer later," Joe assured her quietly. She nodded and turned on her heel, making a quick break from us. From me. And I just stood there like a dick, frozen in place.

"What was that about?" Lewis asked lightly as his eye-line shifted from Rory back to me.

I swallowed the lump that had formed at the back of my throat and shook my head at no one in particular. "I'm sorry, I'll be reet back," I announced, ready to follow Rory wherever she had disappeared but Joe caught my arm.

"Mate, I don't think this a good idea," he told me gently.

"I'm not letting her go again," I spoke firmly as I tugged my arm from his grasp and ran to catch up with the subject of my heartache. "Rory!"

"I'm not doing this with you, Sam," she said over her shoulder, not bothering to stop despite my pleas.

"Rory, wait, please!" I begged, catching her gently by the crook of her elbow.

"Don't!" she hissed as she whirled around to face me and ripped her arm from my clutch, tears glistening in her blue eyes. "Touch me."

"Scarlett," I called softly as I raised a cautious hand out towards her face but she took a step backwards.

"Don't call me that," she spat, folding her arms across her chest. Even upset and angered, she still looked like the most beautiful woman in the room but then again, in my eyes, there was no room she could stand in where she wouldn't be.

"Sorry," I gulped, dropping my hand back to my side. "Er, can we talk?"

"In all honesty, Sam, no," she told me through gritted teeth. "I don't wanna hear it."

"Please," I pleaded. "I'm sorry. I can't apologise enough for what happened that night-"

"Sam-"

"I've missed you so fuckin' much these past couple o' years. All of this means nowt without you," I sighed as I gestured around us.

"I s'ppose you're just gan have to find some meaning for it all," she whispered. "I'm not gan back there, Sam. I won't."

"Please, Rory," I begged her gently. "Can't we at least be friends?"

"No," she told me firmly.

"Why?" I frowned as I took a step towards her, only for her to take one back. "You're my best friend," I said, repeating her words from that fateful May night.