Chapter Sixty One

TRIGGER WARNING: BRIEF MENTION OF AN EATING DISORDER

Aurora

"Rory," my dad called, pulling me from my slumber. I let out a loud groan of protest and turned over, pulling my pillow over my head. "Rory, love, it's time to get up."

"Don't wanna," I whined, refusing to open my eyes. I was absolutely shattered, most likely due to the fact that Sam and I had been on the phone until half twelve the night before because he wanted to be the first person to wish me happy birthday. It was quite sweet but I was absolutely knackered now.

"Well, ya have to," he chuckled, gently prying the pillow from my face. "G'mornin'."

"Mmm, I'm tired," I moaned.

"Yeah, well, ya shouldn't've been up 'til gone twelve then, should ya?" he teased. I rolled onto my back and peeled my eyes open to stare at my dad, who wore a warm smile on his face. "Happy birthday, baby."

"Thanks, dad," I smiled softly as I opened my arms for him. "Wanna cuddle."

"You're like a child, I swear," he snorted but didn't deny my request as he manoeuvred himself so he was lying next to me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Make the most of it, I'm only getting older," I joked, closing my eyes as I rested my head against his chest.

"No chance, you're gan be me little girl forever," he told me, tightening his grasp on me for emphasis.

"I'm seventeen, now, dad," I laughed.

"You're still the little'n who would give us full-on concerts," he chuckled, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I still remember the Christmas you got a karaoke machine, ya wouldn't put the thing down for months."

"Ya mean the one that mysteriously stopped working?" I inquired.

"Aye, that one," he sniggered. "Reet, enough reminiscing or you're gan make me cry. Besides, ya've got your birthday brekkie to eat and your presents to open before school."

I groaned as my dad tugged me out of bed after him, grabbing my phone off charge and pulling on my dressing gown before following him downstairs. My dad looked nervous as he led me out to the kitchen, just one of the rooms in the house that had been decorated extravagantly with birthday balloons and banners.

"I know I usually just put a bunch of food oot, but I thought this year, ya could tell me what ya wanted for breakfast," he admitted, fumbling with his fingers. "I thought it would be better for you like."

"Of course," I told him assuringly with a smile as I seated myself at the table. "How about egg and soldiers?"

"Okay," he smiled, ruffling my hair before bustling about to prepare the food. It was heartwarming how he had adapted to my needs rather than laying out a table full of food that would make me feel queasy at the thought of consuming. I had come a long way since November but it was true what they said. You never really got over an eating disorder.

I turned my phone on, smiling at the sound of my dad's subconscious humming. Immediately, I was inundated with texts from my friends wishing me a happy birthday.

Happy birthday, Scarl. Hope you have the best day, I'm sorry I can't be there, I love u x

I let out a quiet sigh as I read over Sam's text. Unfortunately, he had been scheduled to work and despite his best efforts to get my birthday off, it just wasn't possible. I began typing out replies to each of the texts, thanking everyone for their messages.

"Penny for your thoughts?" my dad asked as he placed two plates down on the table in front of me and sat opposite me.

"Just thinking about how Sam's got to work today," I muttered as I began picking at the toast.

"You're in school anyway," he snorted at my teenage angst.

"Aye, only 'til three," I grumbled.

"I'm sure ya'll live," he laughed.

"Cheers," I scowled.

"It could be worse, I could've printed your baby photos and stuck 'em in the window," he teased.

"You wouldn't dare," I gaped.

"Nah, I'll save that for next year," he grinned.

"Dad!" I whined.

"I've been saving the photo of you and Jack in the bath since yous were babies," he cackled.

"Please, don't put that anyway," I pleaded.

"It's tradition, though," he frowned.

"I don't care," I pouted. He only snorted to himself as he finished the last of his food, scraping his chair backwards to discard his plate in the sink. "Dad."

"I'll be in the living room when you're ready," he smiled, ignoring my pleas of protest as he pressed a kiss to my head and exited the room.

"Heathen," I scowled under my breath as I ate the last of my toast, throwing my egg in the bin and putting my plate in the sink. I pulled my dressing tighter around my body as I made my way into the living room which was covered with balloons. I had to give it to him, my dad made such an effort every year for my birthday.

"C'mon then, birthday girl. Come open your presents," he grinned. I opened the stack of cards first, reading through each of them to see who they were from. I had gotten one from my grandparents and each of my aunts and uncles as well as some of my other relatives and of course, my dad. Still, to this day, he included my mam's name on the card. It always brought a tear to my eye. Especially since she couldn't be with me on what was meant to be a happy day. I moved onto the pile of presents, thanking my dad for each one I opened, receiving a whole load of paraphernalia. "I think ya missed one, love. There's a bag there."

I frowned as my eyes locked on the gift bag that had been almost hidden behind one of the cushions and pulled it into my lap, digging through it. There was a jewellery bag in the bottom, which I gently took out, untying the ribbon that held it shut. I peeked up at my dad, who watched me with a subtle grin, his old model of iPhone clutched in his hand.

"Are ya recording us?" I asked suspiciously.

"Maybe," he smirked. "Open it."

I pulled out the small box that the bag held and pried it open, revealing a silver angel wing charm with an attached pendant that read 'Always with you'. I let out a shaky breath, tears started welling up in my eyes as I read the note that came with it.

Scarlett,

I wanted to get you something special for your birthday this year and I knew when I saw this charm that it was perfect. I know how much you miss your mam but she's always with you and I wanted you to have something that would remind you of that always.

Happy birthday, my love

Sam x

I broke down into tears as I finished reading, bringing a hand to cover my mouth in a vain attempt to muffle the sobs that escaped my mouth.

"Aw, sweetheart," my dad crooned, engulfing me in a tight hug. "It's alreet. It's alreet."