Chapter Thirty Three

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OF BODY DYSMORPHIA

Aurora

"I'm gan down the Low Lights with the lads," Sam told me over the phone. It was a rare Friday night that Sam had off and he had chosen to spend it with the boys. I was glad that he was giving himself some time to relax, but the thought of him going to the pub made my stomach churn nervously. There was a pit that had lodged itself there since discovering Sam's plans and hadn't budged since, but I chose to ignore it, happy that he was getting out.

"Alreet, babe," I smiled softly. "Have a lush night, text me when you get home."

"I will. Goodnight, Scarl," he hummed. "Love you."

"Love you, too," I replied, ending the phone call with a click. Whereas Sam had arranged a night down the pub with the lads, I had plans to go out with my dad. With his shift patterns, it wasn't often that I got to spend time with him outside of home, so when he got some annual leave, he suggested that the two of us go for food somewhere in town.

"Rory, ya ready?" my dad yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah, two secs!" I shouted, grabbing my jacket and slipping it on before rushing out of the room and down the stairs.

"Whoa! Slow down, you're gan hurt yourself one day," he scolded me lightly, steadying me by the shoulders when I nearly crashed into him.

"Sorry," I grinned sheepishly as I sat on the bottom stair to pull my white trainers on. "Ready?"

"I'm ready, I've been waiting for you!" he snorted, pulling me up. "On the phone with that boyfriend of yours again."

"Shut up, dad," I scoffed, bumping my shoulder against his as we left the house. Well, more like his arm considering I only reached up to his collarbone. "Ya love Sam more than I do."

"S'not my fault me daughter don't like the footy," he snorted as he locked the front door.

"That's not the reason and ya know it," I laughed. "Sam's about as athletic as a door."

"At least he'll watch it, unlike you," he shrugged.

"Aye, whatever ya say," I agreed sarcastically. It didn't take us long to reach town, it probably took us longer to settle on where to eat. Finally deciding on the small diner where Harlow worked, the two of us practically raced there, eager to settle our rumbling stomachs.

"Hey, Rory!" Jess greeted us with a smile as we walked through the glass door. She was in a few of my classes at school and was nice enough, although I'd only spoken to her a few times. She was more friends with Harlow than me, which made sense considering they worked together.

"Alreet, Jess?" I smiled.

"Table for two, isi?" she inquired. She quickly led us over to an empty booth when I nodded my head, leaving us with two menus and the promise that she'd be back to take our order in a few minutes.

"Hmm, what're ya fancying? I might get a burger and chips, spoil myself like," my dad grinned as he studied the menu intently.

"Same, I think," I hummed. Just as she said, Jess came back once we'd decided and took our order before leaving us.

"So, when are ya gan upload your next song then?" my dad asked, folding his arms and resting them on the table. "Sam's been showing us your YouTube channel. We all know I ain't got a clue meself."

"I haven't long put out one," I told him as my face burned bright red. I'd never taken into consideration that my music would reach my relatives, none of them were tech-savvy enough to navigate the internet, never mind find my YouTube channel. Cheers, Sam, I thought to myself.