Chapter One Hundred and Forty Five

Aurora

"You're awful chipper today," Harlow laughed as the waiter left us after taking our order. The four of us had gone for a belated birthday brunch for Harlow's birthday, which also doubled as a catch-up for the girls.

"She totally got laid on Saturday!" Jess grinned, mouth dropping in shock as she darted forward, hands splayed on the table with her palms down. "Who was it? Not Mason! Rory Nightingale, I didn't think yer had it in ya. I mean I was rooting for yer and Sam but Mason is kinda cute and—"

"Jess," I hissed, cutting her off mid-ramble. Harlow and Heidi watched her with amusement glittering in their eyes.

"What?" she protested innocently.

"I didn't sleep with Mason on Saturday! In fact, I didn't sleep with anyone," I spluttered.

Jess' grin melted into an exaggerated pout, her bottom lip jutting outwards. "Aww, boring!" she grumbled.

"So, what's got yer in such a good mood?" Harlow inquired curiously, resting her elbow on the table and leaning her chin in the palm of her hand as she studied me intently.

"Aye, I'd like to know an' all," Heidi grinned.

"I dunna, just content like," I shrugged nonchalantly as I sipped on my mimosa. "Album's doing well, tour's all finalised..."

"Suspicious," Harlow commented, eyes narrowing at me.

"What?" I gaped. "Can't I just be happy?"

"No," she replied. "Not without a reason."

"I just gave yer two!" I laughed. There was an obvious third but I refrained from mentioning it to the three girls. They were like vultures when they wanted to be and as much as I loved them, I didn't want to deal with the pressure of all our friends knowing. Because if I told them, they would all know and I wanted to be selfish for once. "Serious, Harls. I'm just in a good mood I guess."

"I don't believe yer but areet," she muttered.

"Oh, give over, Harls," Heidi snorted. "Maybe she's telling the truth."

"Maybe not," Harlow smirked.

"Can we just change the subject?" I groaned. "Have yous picked your venue yet?"

"No," she huffed, rolling her eyes as she took a sip of her drink. "Dean can't make his bloody mind up!"

"Men," Jess snorted.

"Tell me about it!" Heidi groaned. "Me and Jay haven't been on a proper date in ages but I don't wanna mention owt 'cause I don't want him to ask me just because I've said sommat."

"God, sounds like Tom," Jess mumbled. "I just ignored him for two weeks, told him I was gan oot with the girls when he wanted to come over."

"Did it work?" the youngest of the group asked.

Jess chuckled quietly, "Nah, not at all. Men are oblivious! I had to tell him in the end."

"Then what?" she frowned.

"Then he asked me to go oot and I told him no," she smiled with a shrug. "Yer gotta let them work things oot for themselves sometimes."

"That sounds like the worst relationship advice I've ever heard," I interjected.

"You're in a fine place to talk, woman," Jess scoffed in offence.

"Ouch, cheers, Jess," I laughed. "Talk to him, Heids. You're not gan get anywhere without communicating. Men are idiots, sometimes yer have to treat 'em like it."