Chapter Twenty Six

Sam

With Christmas coming up, my money struggles only went from bad to worse. I was picking up every extra shift I possibly could and still didn't have the means to get the gifts I wanted for my loved ones. I felt awful when December 18th came around, just a week from Christmas Day, and the only present I had gotten was a framed photo of me and my brother with my mam from the Christmas prior. I had been eyeing up a charm bracelet in the jewellery shop in town for Rory, but it was a pretty penny and I was still more than £15 short. It was infuriating. What were you supposed to get for people who deserve the world when you're on a budget?

I had been preparing a backup, which wasn't so much a backup as it was a plan A now. Dean had suggested that I play a song for her, a meaningful one, but I had struggled to pick one. There just wasn't one that could fully encapsulate my love for her. I wanted something that would be special, in more ways than one and so, I had settled on 'Your Song' by Elton John. Not only was he one of Rory's favourite artists, but the lyrics also resonated with me and it was an opportunity to put the piano lessons she had been giving me to use.

Rory was due to come around any moment, the two of us having decided to have our 'Christmas' a day early, and to say I was nervous was an understatement. What if she hated it? I had chewed my nails until there was nothing left to bite, so when I heard the harsh knock on the front door, my stomach dropped and I soon started picking at the skin as an alternative. My mam had answered the door, greeting Rory and sending her up to my room where I was waiting.

"Hi, you," she grinned, jumping onto the bed next to me and launching herself into my arms.

"Hello," I mumbled, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Ya alreet?"

"Am now that I'm with you," she smiled, resting her head on my shoulder. "I've missed ya."

"Missed ya, too," I told her.

"Reet, what's wrong with ya?" she asked suddenly, picking her head up to give me a firm stare.

"What d'ya mean? There's nowt wrong with us," I laughed, but she could always see right through me.

"Don't give us that shit, Sam. I saw ya yesterday-"

"And?" I frowned.

"And usually you'd take the piss that I saw ya yesterday and said I missed ya, not tell me ya missed us an' all," she muttered. "So, what's up?"

"Just nervous about me present, 'is all," I mumbled.

"What're ya nervous about, ya div! Ya could give us anything and I'd love it," she assured me with a smile.

"You're just saying that now," I scowled gently.

"Oh, shut up, will ya?" she scoffed. "In that case, I'll give ya your present first, isi?"

"I think that might be worse," I cringed. "It's fine, I'll do mine first." I tapped her arm gently to signal for her to get up before dragging her over to the keyboard set up in the corner of my room.

Aurora

Sam tugged me down to sit next to him on the small leather seat, the two of us just barely fitting. My eyes ghosted over his form, taking note of his anxiety, made obvious by the way he was avoiding my gaze and was chewing his lip so much it drew blood. With a sigh, I raised my hand to pull his bottom lip from the clutches of his teeth and smoothed it over with my thumb. "You're bleeding."

"Oh... it's s'alreet, I didn't even notice," he shrugged with a small smile.

"You hurting yourself ain't alreet, Sam," I sighed, brushing my shoulder against his.