Chapter One Hundred and Twenty

Sam

"Sam," my mam smiled as I passed through the back door that led to the garden, where the party was already in full swing, Sophie trailing behind me shyly.

"Hiya, mam," I greeted her, allowing her to pull me into a tight hug. The sound of someone clearing their throat gently behind me pulled us from our reverie, my mam's eyes falling on the stranger over my shoulder as we parted.

"And who's this?" she asked curiously.

I reached an arm out around Sophie's waist and pulled her towards me so she was tucked into my side, a gentle smile on my face. The picture of domestic bliss if you weren't privy to my true feelings. "Sophie, this is my mam, Shirley. Mam, this is my girlfriend, Sophie," I announced, bracing myself for her reaction. My eyes widened as she started to choke seemingly on thin air.

"Are you alreet?" Sophie questioned in alarm.

"Yeah," my mam coughed. "Yer never mentioned a girlfriend, Sam."

"Er, it's quite a new development," I told her sheepishly, reaching up to scratch the back of my neck.

"Reet," she muttered, eyeing Sophie suspiciously. "Yer should gan see your nana, she hasn't stopped asking about yer."

"Nana's here?" I blanked, my heart dropping at her revelation. My nan lived up in the Borders so I didn't see her very often but if there was one person who felt more strongly about my break up with Rory than my mother, it was her. And she was a brutally honest woman.

"Oh, yes," she smirked. "Go on then."

"Er, reet," I mumbled as I pulled Sophie away in search of my nan, not missing the opportunity to look back to give my mam a death glare.

"Why did you sound so worried that your nan was here?" Sophie asked.

"You'll soon find oot," I murmured as I let go of her waist and greeted the older woman in front of me with a tight hug. "Hiya, nana."

"Sam," she beamed as she pulled away, taking my face in her hands to study me in a way all grandparents did. "Oh, look at you! Have you been eating? Ya look like you're wasting away!"

"Yes, I have been eating," I snorted, mentally bracing myself for what was to come. "Er, nana, this is Sophie, my... er, girlfriend."

"Girlfriend, eh?" she muttered, making no move to cover up her investigative once over the girl beside me.

"It's lovely to meet you, erm..." Sophie trailed as she realised she didn't know her name.

"Mrs Beddingfield," she smiled falsely.

"Nan," I scolded quietly.

"What?" she gasped innocently. This was heading towards disaster and I knew it.

"Mam said ya'd brought a lass with yer but I didn't actually believe her," Liam's voice boomed behind me as he slung an arm over my shoulder and slapped my chest. "Christ, I thought we'd never see the day."

"Has it really been that long?" Sophie laughed lightly.

"Aye, he's been a miserable bastard the past few years," he grinned.

"Liam!" my nana scolded him as she gave him a firm clip around the ear.

"Ow, sorry, nana!" he whined, rubbing his head before turning his attention to Sophie. "She's a lil' firecracker wor nana! I'm Liam, Sam's older brother."

"Sophie," she replied softly.

"Ya never mentioned that you invited Rory, Samuel," my nana interjected as her eyes fixed on something behind us, a smile ghosting her lips.