Chapter Forty Four

Aurora

It had been nearly a month now since Sam broke up with me and the longer that time went by, my hopes of us fixing things got smaller and smaller. He was my best friend as well as my boyfriend, so losing him hurt double as much. We had the same friendship group, for fuck's sake. Now it was just plain awkward, proven by Sam's phone call to Dean on Wednesday.

Even though I had agreed to go to the Low Lights tonight, I was slowly starting to regret it. Yes, I had wanted to spend time with my friends - even Joe and Drew were coming - but the thought of seeing Sam sent me into a frenzy and my heart palpitating.

Harlow assured me that I didn't have to go, that I could change my mind at any time, but I couldn't bring myself to stay at home knowing all my friends would be there. Seeing Sam was a risk I was just going to have to take. Well, I say it was a risk, it was inevitable that I would see him. He worked there.

"Make him regret ever leaving you, pet," Harlow smirked as she pulled out a black lacy bralette and a worn, white Rolling Stones t-shirt before rifling through my drawers for a pair of blue denim shorts, earning a sound of agreement from Jess, who was sitting on my bed.

"No shorts!" I blurted as her hand brushed over the denim shorts that haunted me. The same pair from all those months ago. My dad had found them on the floor in the bathroom, my aim clearly not having been the greatest, and put them in with the washing, much to my dismay when I found them in my drawers a week later. I couldn't find it in myself to throw them out, hoping that with my diet, I would be able to fit into them once more. Wishful thinking, I know. Although I had lost a little bit of weight since then, I just couldn't bring myself to try them on.

"Uh... alreet?" she frowned as she shot a quick glance at Jess, confusion seeping into her words as she searched for a pair of jeans instead and passed them to me. I sent her a forced smile and a small 'thank you' before getting dressed, Harlow tying the t-shirt in a knot just above my torso, revealing the bottom of the bralette. I bit my lip, immediately wanting to untie it and pull the material down over my torso, but pushed aside the urge, not wanting to raise any more suspicion. "There. Wow, ya look unreal!"

"Ya think?" I asked hopefully, looking at her with wide eyes. Maybe my dieting was starting to pay off.

"Yeah! Sam's gan lose his head," Jess smirked as Harlow studied me for anything that was out of place. I had, reluctantly, allowed her to do my hair and makeup and I was glad I had now because, for the first time in a long time, I felt pretty.

Sam

Dean was chatting to me as fiddled with the strings of the acoustic guitar around my neck, ready for my set that was due to start at any moment. I was still a bit miffed that he and Tom had gone out with Rory, Jess and Harlow earlier that week, but he was here now and that was what mattered.

Speak of the devil, I thought as I watched Rory walk through the door with Harlow and Jess in tow. It was like the breath got knocked straight out of me. She looked radiant as ever, donning an old Rolling Stones tee that was tied to reveal a black lacy bralette and a pair of jeans. Not like myself, who looked like he hadn't gotten a wink of sleep in the past month, which I hadn't really. She had a bright smile on her face but I could see right through it. I could tell that it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Sam? Sam!" Dean's voice brought me out of my stupor. "Are ya ready?"

"Why is she here?" I asked.

"I asked her to come for a drink with everyone," he told me, pursing his lips together in a straight line, nervously anticipating my reaction.

"Why?" I scowled.

"Because she's my best mate if you hadn't forgotten. And no thanks to you, we haven't been able to see her. Now, are you ready?" he questioned firmly.