Chapter Thirty Six

Sam

You still coming over later? x

I stared at the text with a mixture of disappointment and contempt. It was my birthday and not one of my friends nor my girlfriend had wished me 'happy birthday'. I had even tried to hint to Rory earlier on by asking her if we were going to do anything, but her reply 'I'm tired, can we stay in today? :(' had only made my stomach churn regretfully.

It was with reluctance that I made my way to Rory's, my mind still solely focused on the fact she had forgotten my birthday. I trudged down the beaten path towards her house, shooting her a quick text to tell her I was on my way.

Come straight in, I'm too comfy to get the door :)) x

I scoffed at her lack of effort, less than impressed by her words. I shook my head and shoved my phone forcefully back into my pocket as I kicked away a small rock on the ground angrily.

"I'm too comfy to get the door," I muttered bitterly. It wasn't long before I made it, the streets of North Shields blending into the background as I passed through them. I took a deep breath before I walked in, eager to quell my annoyance to avoid an argument on my birthday, although if Rory was as clueless as she was letting on, one was most definitely in the cards.

I squinted as my eyes struggled to adjust to the lighting change. For some reason, all the lights were off downstairs, but I chalked it up to Rory having been hibernating upstairs all day, her dad probably at work. I felt around for the light and quickly flicked it on before making my way into the living room to do the same with the intention of making myself a drink before I faced my girlfriend. I cursed as I tripped over a wire, steadying myself on the wall and luckily finding the light switch at the same time.

"Surprise!"

I jumped out of my skin as a chorus of voices reverberated around the room, popping out from behind furniture, party poppers and streamers being pulled on me. The room was decorated with various banners and balloons with a table filled with party food and in the midst of it all stood Rory with a nervous smile on her face, surrounded by my friends and family. Dean, Harlow, Drew, Joe, Tom and Jess were there, some of my other friends from school, Rory's dad, my mam, even my older brother and my dad, who I hadn't seen in months.

"What's all this?" I asked in disbelief. Disbelief that anyone would go out of their way to do this for me.

"A surprise party, ini?" Rory laughed, stepping towards me to wrap me in a tight hug before whispering in my ear, "Happy birthday, baby." I stared wordlessly as she pulled away, my mouth opening and closing like a gaping fish.

"Well? Say sommat, kid," my dad teased.

"I can't believe it, s'all," I admitted.

Rory

I was a ball of nerves waiting for Sam to arrive. I knew how he could get sometimes and I had a feeling he would be working himself into a pit of despair thinking that we had all forgotten his birthday, so I was eager for him to arrive to prove that wasn't the case. Luckily, he had taken it well, something else I was nervous about, and was now in the middle of a conversation with his dad.

He didn't get to see his dad a lot and so I had reached out to him to come. I was just glad when he agreed and hoped that Sam would appreciate the gesture. I knew that his relationship with him was strained at best, but watching the two of them together made me glad that I had called him.

"What did ya get him?" Tom asked as he crept up behind me, snapping me from my reverie.

"I've not given it to him yet." I shrugged. "You'll have to wait until I do."