Chapter Fourteen

Aurora

"What about short stack?" Sam asked. We were walking to school together, minus Dean and Harlow, the latter of which claimed she had an early-morning doctor's appointment and would be coming in later and the former having made the excuse that he had revision before to attend. Not that I believed either of them one bit, but it meant that I got to spend some one-on-one time with my boyfriend. I could leave interrogating them until another time. Our fingers were intertwined and tucked away in Sam's pocket, hiding from the bitingly cold February air.

"Bit unoriginal, don't ya think?" I hummed, not the slightest bit bothered. He really was going all in with this whole nickname thing, which sucked for him as there wasn't a lot he could tease me about that would annoy me. I was pretty laidback.

"Butterfingers?"

"Bit of a mouthful. Besides, you're the clumsy one, not me," I snorted, bumping my shoulder against his playfully.

"Tell that to my favourite mug," he grumbled, shoving me back lightly.

"Alreet, I break one mug. What about all the cups you've smashed? Dad told me you're not allowed glass anymore," I huffed as the school gates came into view. "Hey, isn't that Dean and Harlow over there?"

"Where?" Sam frowned, searching in the direction I was pointing.

"Behind that tree. So, much for that early morning revision," I scoffed. "There's definitely sommat gan on with the pair of 'em."

"I don't see it," he commented.

"That's cause you're about as subtle as a bull in a china shop," I laughed, pulling him towards the school. "I'm telling ya, give it a month and they'll be together."

"Dean ain't got the balls to ask her oot," he sniggered.

"Aye, that's why my money's on Harlow," I smirked.

Sam

"So, what's gan on with you and Harlow then?" I asked Dean as we made our way to our form class, away from the eavesdropping ears of the girls.

"What d'ya mean?" he frowned.

"Anyone ever tell ya, you can't lie to save your life?" I chuckled, slinging my bag on the floor and taking a seat at mine and Dean's desk.

"Your missus, quite regularly," he grumbled. "There's nothing gan on."

"That's not what Rory reckons," I smirked at him.

"Shoulda known," he muttered.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I grunted.

"You're not the most observant, Sam," he snorted, looking at me with a look that said 'seriously?'. "Quite the opposite actually."

"...Yeah, ya got me there," I mumbled, pursing my lips together. "Just tell me, mate. I'm your best friend."

"I'm not lying," he frowned, "Yes, I like her but I don't think she likes me." He looked like a kicked puppy as he fiddled with the pen in his hand.

"Not according to Rory," I grinned. "Besides, if the two of yous start dating then we can go on double dates."

"We basically do already," he deadpanned.

"Aye, but then I can do couple-stuff with me girlfriend," I told him.

"Once again, Sam, you already do."

"Well, it won't be so awkward if yous are doing couple-stuff too," I huffed with an eye roll.

Aurora

"Will ya just put the poor lad oot of his misery already?" I groaned as soon as the two boys were out of sight. Sam and I had met up with Dean and Harlow at our usual spot before the bell rang to signal the first class of the day. Well, form.

"Who?" she frowned.

"Don't act like ya don't know," I scowled at her. "Dean."

"What about him?" she asked, frown deepening. I had to give it to her, she was playing this off well. So well that she might have fooled Sam, but not me. I knew her too well to fall for it.

"Harls," I spoke flatly.

"Fine," she grumbled, "Yes, I like Dean but he's so oblivious!"

"You're preaching to the choir, pet," I snorted. "He runs after ya like a lost puppy. Just ask him oot. If you leave him to do it, you'll be waiting forever and a day."

"You think he'll say yes?" she questioned quietly.

"I know he will," I assured her. "Besides, don't think I've not noticed your secret hangouts."

"I don't know what you're talking about," she shrugged nonchalantly.

"Cut the shit, Harls. Christmas time when ya went over Dean's early-"

"I wasn't there long before ya," she spoke hurriedly.

"The plates of food told me differently," I snorted, watching as her face darkened in embarrassment. "The party, when the two of ya disappeared for an hour? Don't get me started on your 'doctor's appointment'."

"Alreet, alreet. Ya caught us. Can ya blame us for wanting to spend more time with him alone?" she sighed, fiddling with her fingers.

"I just wished ya would've told us. I woulda helped you," I told her as I wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her into a comforting side-hug.

"He'll definitely say yes if I ask him oot?" she asked nervously.

"Definitely."