Chapter One Hundred and Sixteen

Aurora

"What's with the flowers?" I laughed as I swung the door to my flat open to reveal Harlow hidden by a huge bouquet of flowers, a mixture of roses and sunflowers that made my stomach flip with nausea and anticipation. Jess stood just behind her, holding in her own laughter.

"They're for you," Harlow huffed as she shoved them into my grasp. "They were delivered about an hour ago, apparently I'm now your delivery woman."

"Er, thanks," I mumbled.

"Anyway, happy birthday, bitch!" Jess grinned, pulling me into a hug the second I placed the bouquet in a spare vase.

"Aye, happy birthday," Harlow smiled.

"Thank yous," I replied.

"Who're they off?" Jess asked curiously as she tried to take a peek at the card that came with the flowers.

"I've got a sneaky suspicion," I murmured as I took the card and began reading what I was more a novella than a note.

Rory,

I know we're not back on speaking terms just yet but I saw a bouquet of roses and sunflowers in the florist down in Tynemouth and I thought of you, what with your birthday coming up. They always were your favourites. Even when we were teenagers.

I hope that you have the most amazing day ever, I couldn't think of anymore more deserving of it and all the success you've had than you. I am so fucking proud of you, darling, you wouldn't even believe it. I always knew you were going to go far and I told you as much that day on the beach. I knew it then and I know it now. The only difference is that at the time I thought I would be by your side through it all.

I know you probably don't miss me but I miss you all the time. With every career milestone I hit, I find myself reaching for my phone to text you, call you, anything to tell you because you're still the first person I want to tell every single time. Some part of me deep down secretly wishes you feel the same but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. I just hope that one day you can find it in your heart to forgive me and that I'll be able to share all those moments with you at some point in the future.

All truly is on my side when you're on my side.

Happy birthday,

Sam x

"Ya've been reading that for a while," Harlow snorted as she pinched the card from my hands so she could read it herself.

"Harlow," I protested as I tried to grab it back but she wasn't having any of it.

"Is he for real?" she laughed. "All truly is on my side when you're on my side? Soppy cunt."

"He really said that?" Jess asked, her bottom lip jutting outwards as Harlow passed the card to her to read. I had long given up trying to pry the card from their grasp. "This is so cute."

"Aye, a bit," I shrugged, trying to remain indifferent but I couldn't help the little jump my heart did whilst reading his words.

"What yer gan do?" Harlow inquired whilst studying the floral arrangement.

"What d'ya mean?" I frowned in confusion.

"Well, are yer gan text him? Thank him?" she huffed as though it was the most obvious answer in the world.

"No," I replied quickly. "Absolutely not!"

"Aww, why?" Jess pouted.

"I'm not gan let him manipulate me that easily," I muttered.