Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Six

Daily Mail

Rory Nightingale and Sam Fender's Secret Past

Rory Nightingale and Sam Fender are both stars in their own right. Between them, they took home a total of three BRIT awards at this year's ceremony. Nightingale, who shot to fame following the release of her debut single Starving back in 2015 has had fans contemplating the identity of her ex-boyfriend for years after her album Drop Dead was dropped back in 2016.

It seems that they need not look any further.

The Hypersonic Missiles singer caused waves on Instagram last month on his post announcing the release of his album of the same name. Nightingale commented on the post complimenting the album, calling it a 'canny album' to which Fender thanked her and in the process called her 'Scarl'.

Anyone that isn't aware of Nightingale's discography may not see the significance of this but eagle-eyed fans were quick to point out that Nightingale has a song called Scarlett about her ex-boyfriend. The same ex-boyfriend the rest of her album is about.

A source tells us that the pair were inseparable since they met at school in 2008 up until their inevitable split in 2015. Fender was described as being 'smitten' with the popstar from their early teenage years, even more so when they entered a relationship in 2009 following Nightingale's accidental admittance of liking him after releasing her song Heather on YouTube. Their relationship, however, was described as a tumultuous one with the pair splitting up on more than one occasion before finally calling it quits just months after the release of her debut single Starving, which can be inferred to be about Fender. According to the source, the split was not amicable, the duo ceasing complete contact and Nightingale moving from her native North Shields to London to focus on her career. Fender was said to be crushed by the breakup, resorting to alcohol as a coping method as he desperately tried to kickstart his career after months out of the game due to illness.

 Fender was said to be crushed by the breakup, resorting to alcohol as a coping method as he desperately tried to kickstart his career after months out of the game due to illness

Nightingale (right) pictured with best friend, Harlow Bradley (left), who is in a relationship with Fender's best friend and guitarist Dean Thompson

Although some fans were shocked to discover that Sam Fender was the ex that Nightingale had written her album about, others were angered at the revelation. They took to Twitter to convey their disgust at the way Fender had treated the popstar, going as far as boycotting his new album. This did not have a substantial impact on sales, however, as the Geordie still managed to reach number one in the UK charts.

The pair appear to have rekindled their friendship as illustrated by the activity on each other's social media. A recent post by Nightingale was captioned 'Being home means forcing my dad to take photos of me' with Fender commenting 'Bet he loved that'. This spurred on dating rumours after the two were pictured with a fan back in August, who described Fender as 'looking like he was in love'.

It is unclear whether the two have reentered a relationship together, although eagle-eyed fans noticed that Nightingale only followed Fender again back in July when the rockstar was rumoured to be dating influencer, Sophie Miller after she was spotted in Tynemouth. Nothing was ever officially confirmed by either of the pair but Fender was said to have unfollowed her not long after.

Let us know your thoughts!

DMs

finleystephens

I've just seen a really weird article on the Daily Mail about you and Sam Fender😅 x

rorynightingale

Oh, that :/ x

I'm sure you have a lot of questions x

finleystephens

Is it true? Sam Fender's your ex? x

rorynightingale

Yeah x

Does that bother you? x

finleystephens

I'll be totally honest with you, I'm a little hurt you didn't say anything. I'm not so bothered about the fact he's your ex x

rorynightingale

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it x

I don't really like talking about it x

finleystephens

I understand x

And you're friends again now? x

rorynightingale

We're getting there x

It's hard because we have the same friend group, my friends are his like. Our best friends are in a relationship x

finleystephens

Hey, you don't have to justify it to me, I trust you x

rorynightingale

Really? x

finleystephens

Of course, these past few months have been some of the best I've had this year. I've really enjoyed hanging out with you, Rory x

rorynightingale

Can you really call it hanging out?😂x

finleystephens

Wow, way to ruin a cute moment🙄x

I've enjoyed all of whatever you want to call it😉x

rorynightingale

Haha, me too ;) x