Chapter Eighty

Sam

Once my anger wore off along with the alcohol, I was left in a flurry of regret, kicking myself as I usually did. I trusted Rory, of course, I did, but seeing a lad talking to her always left me feeling inadequate and questioning my position in her life. I knew that if shared these fears, Rory would shoot them down immediately. I could picture her already, telling me how much of a divvy I was for thinking that way.

"Sam? What are yer doing home? I thought ya were staying at Rory's?" my mam asked with a frown, her eyes flickering between me and the stranger that resided on our sofa as she met me in the doorway of the living room.

"We had an argument," I muttered, fixing my gaze on the older man. "Er, who's this?"

"Uh, I was gan wait a bit longer to introduce yous... but this is Ronnie," my mam stumbled. "We've been seeing each other for a couple of months now."

"Oh," I mumbled shortly, unsure of whether I was alright with the fact my mother had found herself a partner or whether I was uncomfortable with the matter but in my drunken haze, I chose not to dwell on it. "Reet. Well, I'm gan to bed."

"Er, alreet then," she replied in disappointment, her shoulders dropping at my dismissal. "G'night, pet."

"Night," I told her, nodding my head at Ronnie before stalking to my room.

I threw myself atop my bed with a loud sigh and fished my phone out of my pocket. I hesitated for a moment before dialling Rory's number and bringing the device to my ear. It rang no more than twice before I was sent to voicemail, my mouth eliciting a frustrated groan. Persistent as ever, I rang her again, this time immediately being sent to voicemail.

"Hi, it's me. Uh, I just wanted to say I'm sorry about tonight. I acted like a dick I know... just call me back, would yer?" I spoke before shutting the phone call off with a sigh.

I stared up at the ceiling, letting my thoughts run wild as I studied the plain white paint, my phone twirling in my hand. My lips pulled together in a straight line as I contemplated calling my girlfriend again but knew it would be futile. She was as stubborn as they came, of course, she wouldn't pick up. Instead, I brought up my messages and began typing out a text to her.

I'm sorry for being a cunt as always and spoiling your night, promise I'll make it up to you. Please let me know when you're home safe, I don't care if you're still mad at me. I love you, Scarl x

I stared at the screen, almost willing her to text back but I knew she wasn't likely to. So, when the three dots appeared at the bottom of the chat, my heart skipped a beat. I guessed that she wasn't sure how to respond judging by the number of times it disappeared and popped up again. Finally, after what felt like an hour, but was only ten minutes, in reality, her text finally came through.

I'm home. Still mad but I love you too.

A sad smile found its way onto my face as I read her message. It was understandable for her to still be annoyed at me for my outburst but it settled the unease in my stomach to know she was home and safe. It definitely helped me sleep a lot better that night.

 It definitely helped me sleep a lot better that night