Chapter Eighty Two

Aurora

With school done and finished, I had taken a job at the surf cafe in Tyneside, applying back at the end of May. It was something to get me by for the summer before I went off to university. It also allowed me to save a bit of money to go away with. I applied for forensic science at Northumbria back in December and had gotten an offer at the start of February. I was relieved when I got the email through as I wasn't wanting to move far from Shields. I didn't want to be away from my dad or Sam and my friends. It was a trivial reason for some people but for those with a past like mine, it was these that kept my feet firmly on the ground and stopped me from spiralling out of control.

The time I didn't spend at the surf cafe was spent with Sam and my friends and I had also been visiting my family in South Shields more now that I had the freedom of no Monday to Friday, nine to three's.

"Hiya, what can I get yer?" I smiled at the customer that approached the till.

"Can I get a regular latte, please?" the elderly man asked. It was a fairly chilly day considering it was the middle of July. Warm enough to not need a jacket but cool enough that ordering a coffee wouldn't be considered weird.

"Of course, that'll be £1.80," I told him, thanking him as he handed the money over. "I'll get that for yer reet away." I quickly shuffled around, dodging Jerome, who also worked at the cafe as I prepared the man's drink.

"Cheers, pet," he beamed as I passed the steaming mug to him.

Turning, I began cleaning the coffee machine while the cafe was quiet and there was no one else to serve. I was so lost in my thoughts that I was frightened to death by the sound of someone clearing their throat.

"Say, what's the chances of getting your number?" a raspy voice spoke lowly.

"Shit, Sam! Yer scared the life oot of me!" I hissed, clutching my chest to emphasise my terror as I whirled around to face the source of the voice.

He snorted, leaning across the counter, "Sorry, darlin'."

"S'alreet," I laughed lightly, depositing the used rag on the counter. "What yer doing here anyway?"

"I came to see yer," he smirked. "Ain't that obvious?"

"Yer came all the way here just to see me?" I smiled.

"Course," he shrugged. "When's your break?"

"In about ten minutes now," I told him as I started wiping the counter down. "Yer want anything whilst you're waiting?"

"I'm alreet, darlin'," he assured me. "I'll just wait for ya over there. Don't want to get yer in too much trouble like."

"Okay, babe," I replied. I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket and fought the urge to check it. It was probably Harlow ranting about something Dean had done or my dad checking in on me. I didn't let my curiosity get the better of me, however, instead, continuing to clean the countertops as Jerome served the next customer that came in.

Ten minutes passed soon enough. Throwing my apron to the side and shouting to Jerome that I was going on break, I hastily joined Sam at one of the tables in the corner of the cafe.

"Hey," I greeted him once more, resting my chin in the palm of my hand and admiring my boyfriend sitting across from me. The summer sun shone in from the window onto Sam's face, his thick eyelashes casting a shadow on his cheeks. His eyes looked as blue as the Caribbean ocean, sparkling in the sunlight in a way that made me want to spend the rest of my life staring into them. They were so easy to get lost in.

"Hello," he smiled, reaching for my hand across the table. "How's your day been?"

"Well, I've done nowt but make coffee and clean tables," I joked as I fished my phone from my back pocket, feeling it buzz once more.