Chapter Twenty Eight

Sam

Once I had calmed down, I immediately felt guilty. Yes, Rory could have gone about the situation differently, but so could I. She was right; I should've told Ella that I had a girlfriend and moved her hand off me, but I couldn't see at the time that she was flirting. There was still a tinge of anger that lingered at the whole blowout and as a result, neither Rory nor I spoke to each other for the rest of the night. The tension in the air was thick and as much as I tried to ignore it, I just couldn't.

"Reet, I think it's about time we call it a night, don't ya think?" Dean spoke as he finished the dregs of his drink. Tom and Drew nodded in agreement, following his actions whereas Rory and Harlow had finished theirs around ten minutes ago. I stared at my own, coming to the conclusion that I wouldn't even bother to finish it. Even though we weren't on the best of terms, I still had to walk Rory home and the last thing I needed was the extra liquid anger as I liked to call it.

The six of us stood from the booth and made our way outside, where we all said our goodbyes. I nodded to the lads, offering them a half smile with my hands tucked in my pockets as I waited for Rory. Dean was staying over at Harlow's, which was in the opposite direction as well as Drew's and Tom's, which left just Rory and me heading in the other direction. She quickly turned on her heel and started walking home, leaving me jogging to catch up with her.

"Ya can leave us alone ya know. I'm a big girl now, I can walk myself home," she mumbled.

"I'm not letting ya walk home on your own," I told her with a frown.

"I'll be fine," she muttered.

"We're going the same way," I sighed. "I won't say a word if ya don't want me to. I just want ya to be safe."

"Why're you acting like you care?" she asked, pausing in her steps and whipping around to face me.

"Because I do."

She let out a bitter laugh and rolled her eyes, "Ya really hurt us, ya know? What you said."

"I know. I shouldn't have said what I did, I'm sorry," I whispered. I stepped closer to her, watching her cautiously as though she were a wild animal that would run at the slightest hint of danger. She folded her arms across her chest, which I assumed was to keep warm judging by the way she was shivering. I pulled my jacket off and wrapped it around her shoulders, holding the material there as she stubbornly tried to shrug it off. "You're cold." She bit her bottom lip so hard that it drew blood and shrugged her shoulders, her eyes avoiding mine. I reached up and pulled her lip from its trap, gently wiping the blood away with my thumb. "I'm sorry, Rora."

"No, I'm sorry," she mumbled, so quietly I almost didn't hear. Her head turned to the floor and she awkwardly shuffled her weight on her feet. "I don't mean to embarrass ya. I'm just... self-conscious. I don't want to lose you to some prettier lass."

"That's impossible. There is no prettier lass," I smiled softly, my hand moving to rest on her cheek.

"Shut up," she blushed, shoving my chest lightly. I let out a laugh and pulled her into my arms, squeezing her tightly.

"I mean it, Scarl. You're the prettiest girl in the world," I told her, stroking her hair lightly. "There's no one else that I'd want to be with, and certainly not Ella Voyle."

"Ya wouldn't be breathing long enough to try," she giggled.

"Is that a threat?" I snorted.

"Ya know Harlow would kill ya," she shrugged.

"She would, aye," I chuckled. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she replied, rising on her tip toes to press a kiss to my lips. My hands drifted down to hold her hips and steady, my fingers fisting the denim of her jeans. I drew her closer to me and let out a soft groan as her tongue explored my mouth. After what felt like a lifetime but still not long enough, we pulled away breathlessly. "Let's go home."

With my arm wrapped around her shoulder and her smaller figure tucked into my side, we walked in stride down the dimly lit street towards her house. The buzz from the alcohol had long worn off along with any hope of it blanketing us from the cold January air, but as we got closer to our destination, I realised that there was no other place that I would rather be.