Chapter Ninety Seven

TRIGGER WARING: MENTION OF EATING DISORDERS

Aurora

"I missed yous so much!" I cried as I dived into Dean's arms. He, Harlow, Tom and Jess had come down to visit as I hadn't seen them in near enough three months. They probably would have come down sooner if I hadn't spiralled and ignored the majority of their attempts to contact me.

"We missed yer an' all, Pip," Tom told me softly as he pried me from Dean's tight hold to pull me into his arms. "The Low Lights ain't the same without yer."

"I bet it's a lot quieter," I snorted quietly, a bitter reference to the fights he and I always used to get into. 

I still couldn't quite bring myself to say his name, even mentally. It was quite pathetic really.

Jess frowned as she took her turn to embrace me, quickly followed by Harlow, who squeezed me tightly. "Don't say that, pet," Jess scolded me lightly.

"It's true," I shrugged.

"Rory," Dean sighed.

"Forget about that anyway, come see my humble abode," I told them, plastering a thick smile on my face. I moved aside to let the four of my closest friends into my flat, their first time actually seeing it, and closed the door behind them.

"Whoa, this is fancy!" Tom commented as he surveyed his surroundings.

"It's nowt much," I shrugged. "Just somewhere enough for me like."

"She's made it big time now," he teased, ruffling my hair like an annoying older brother. I scowled playfully and batted his hand away from me before throwing myself down on the sofa. "Miss my debut single went straight to number one."

"Shush," I mumbled, covering my face with one of the pillows to hide my embarrassment.

"Don't be shy now," Jess joked as she and Harlow jumped onto the sofa beside me. "I love telling everyone that I know the Rory Nightingale!"

"I hate yous," I grumbled jokingly, squealing in protest when Tom practically leapt on top of me and stole the pillow from my grasp.

"Enough of that now! Hate us? The cheek!" he scoffed dramatically.

"Tommy!" I groaned as I shoved him off me.

"Don't kill her now, mate," Dean snorted, pulling his girlfriend up to steal her seat and settling her on his lap.

"What are yer trying to say?" he gaped.

"She's fragile," Jess laughed.

"I am not!" I protested, feigning offence.

"She's anything but!" Dean chuckled. "I woulda had a million more black eyes through school if it weren't for wor Rory."

"God, remember when she kicked Kieran Gaits in the balls?" Harlow snickered. "And when she punched Natalie!"

"I got suspended for that," I muttered, although there was a proud smirk on my face. She had deserved that punch and I was glad to be the one to give it to her.

"So," Jess began enthusiastically, changing the subject. "How's it gan? How's London? Is it amazing?"

I pursed my lips as I considered her question. "In all honesty, no," I mumbled. "I miss home. I missed yous. It's not the same here."

"Then come back," Harlow frowned as though it was the easiest thing in the world to do.

"It's not that simple," I told her, pulling my knees up to my chest.