Chapter Eighty Four

TRIGGER WARNING: EATING DISORDERS

Aurora

Results day was a day that I had been dreading since I had sat my exams but after the past month and a bit, I found myself uncaring of what a piece of paper said. I had made up my mind about the record deal. I spent many a night up until three o'clock in the morning researching Island Records and I found that they had signed the likes of Amy Winehouse, U2 and Ariana Grande. It would be stupid not to sign with them!

It meant though that my plan of going off to university was looking like it wasn't going to happen. Not that I had told my dad as much yet. I was too scared and with Sam touring with Ben Howard, there was no one here to push me into doing it. He asked me every time he phoned, which was practically every day, sometimes even twice a day and I always told him I would do it but never did. I didn't know why I was so nervous, my dad was one of the most supportive people on the planet but I had this irrational fear of letting him down.

"Have yer told him yet?" Harlow asked as she bundled up towards me, threading her arm through mine as we made our way into the school.

"Shut up, would yer?" I hissed quietly, my eyes flickering towards my dad walking beside us, luckily preoccupied with his phone call to my aunt.

"I'll take that as a no," she muttered.

"I'm gan tell him later, alreet?" I huffed.

"You've been saying that for a month, Rory," she sighed.

"I really am gan do it later," I assured her. "As soon as we get home."

"Sure," she mumbled sarcastically. "Spoken to lover boy today?"

My irritation quickly dissipated at the mention of Sam, the corners of my lips tugging upwards into a shy smile. "He rang this mornin' to wish me luck," I told her with an impossible grin.

"Where is he?" she inquired as we neared the hall.

"Somewhere in Liverpool," I shrugged just as my dad said his goodbye's to Emily.

"Y'alreet, Harl?" my dad greeted her with a smile as he shoved his phone into the back pocket of his jeans.

"Aye, I'm alreet," she smiled.

"Where's your mam and dad?" he frowned, peering around in search of them.

"Oh, they're in the car," she told him flippantly. "I wouldn't let them come in with wor."

"You're so nice to 'em," I laughed.

"Well, I need time to prepare myself to break the news I've done rubbish!" she protested.

"I'm sure ya've done class, pet," my dad assured her with a paternal smile.

Harlow's face contorted into a grimace and her nose scrunched up. "We'll soon find oot," she murmured, ignoring the obviously fake smiles of comfort offered by our teachers as we made our way up to the table with our results. "I'm scared."

"You'll be fine," I told her as we collected our envelopes. I wasted no time in tearing mine open whereas Harlow was more hesitant to do so, waiting until I had pulled the paper from its confinements before even considering opening hers.

"Well?" she inquired, peering over my shoulder to read the sheet of paper. "Jesus, Rory!"

"What?" my dad asked in alarm, copying my best friend's actions. "Bloody hell, well done, love!"

I couldn't force the words out of my mouth as I stared down at the page in shock, jaw hanging low as my eyes flitted over the ink several times.

Biology - A