Being Strong

(Stefan is Clint and Caroline is Faith)

I walk over to Clint looking at him with a tear still trailing down my face

Clint wipes away the tear pulling me into a hug as I bury my head into his chest.

"How's Patrick?" I asked pulling back from the hug looking at him.

"He locked himself in his room and is refusing to come out." Clint said making me look down and shake my head.

"I just wish, I could  have done something, you know. My son is gone and there's nothing I can do." I said feeling my voice start to shake. 

"Hey, shh shh. It's okay. it's okay, everything is gonna be okay." Clint said and I clear my throat nodding as I walk away knocking on Patrick's door.

"Patrick? It's mom can I come in?" I asked softly hoping that he doesn't blame me.

The door opens a few seconds later and Patrick stands in the doorway, his face puffy and his eyes red from his tears making my bottom lip shake as I try not to cry again. 

"God, Patrick, I'm sorry." I said leaning down to his height before he pulls me into a hug crying into my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry baby, I'm sorry." I whispered rocking back and forth not knowing that Clint is behind me with Natasha, Steve, Tony and Scott.

"Faith, we gotta talk." Scott said  from behind me and I pull away from the hug wiping away Patrick's tears kissing him on top of his head before he goes back into his room closing and locking the door.

We are all sitting in the living room, Clint had gone to get us all some coffee, Scott and Steve are standing while Tony and Nat are sitting down.

I look at Tony with a small smile.

"How's Pepper and Morgan?" I asked brushing my hair out of my face.

"They're good." Tony said and I smile slightly with a nod. 

"How Patrick doing?" Steve asked quietly.

"Uh...he's locked himself in his room." I said softly.

"Can I talk to him?" Scott asked and I nod as Clint walks into the room handing me a coffee and putting the other's coffee's down on the table.

"Hey Patrick, it's uncle Scott can I come in?"  Scott asked knocking on the door and then the door opens.

"Hi uncle Scott." Patrick said his voice soft and sad.

"You know we're gonna get your brother back." Scott said reassuring the 8 year old boy.

"Mom, doesn't seem to believe that."  Patrick said and Scott sighs lightly.

"She does, she's just sad and she's not handling it well so she needs you to be really strong for her and your father they need that from you and they'll be strong for you too, I promise, but right now they need you." Scott said to the boy and Patrick sighs.

"I know, it's just...Peter...He was my hero and my big brother."  Patrick said and I feel a tear roll down my face as the others talk with Clint knowing that I'm listening to the conversation between Patrick and Scott.

I wipe my eyes catching my breath as I get up grabbing a photo book of me and my family and leaving going outside. 

I drop to my knees letting out a loud sob feeling every emotion that I could ever possibly feel.

"God why did it have to be Peter, why not me?! It should've been me. My boy is gone and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I promised him nothing would happen to him and I lied! I promised!" I yelled clutching the book in my hands as I go into a flashback.

Flashback

"Mom, is anything going to happen to me?" Peter asked as we sit on the couch.

Patrick is having a nap and Clint is on a mission. 

I look at him and shake my head.

"No, I promise, I won't let anything happen to you. Nothing will happen to you, I promise on my heart and soul." I said.

"I love you mom."  Peter said and I smile kissing the top of his head.

"I love you too." I said before getting up heading into my room laying on my bed falling asleep.  

End Of Flashback

I feel someone wrap their arms around me and by the scent, I know it's Natasha.

"Why did it have to be Peter, Nat? Why couldn't it be me?" I asked my voice shaky and cracking.

"I don't know but just know this we are going to get your son back." She said as we pull away from the hug and she wipes my eyes.

"God, I feel like I'm crying way to much." I said and she shakes her head.

"Your mourning, it's okay." Natasha said and I nod before clearing my throat standing up seeing Patrick and I kneel down causing him to run into my arms and I hug him tightly.

"It's okay, it's okay. Peter's gonna be back. We're gonna bring him back. No matter what we have to do." I said to him as his breathing becomes slow and normal meaning that he has fallen asleep, I lift him up carrying him to his room laying him on his bed kissing him on the head pulling the blanket up over his chest. 

I walk into the bathroom looking in the mirror moving my hair out of my face wash my ruined makeup off of my face and reapply it before smiling at my reflection and walking out of the room closing the door. 

"We've got a job to do." I said walking over to the others.

They nod and I grab Clint's hand as we walk out leaving the house knowing that no one is going go near our home because of protected it is.