A New Vision

(Request from UniquaUnicorn, thank you again!)

"What if" he had night vision?

Mettaton was quite new to the whole new world of viewing his new body would offer. Though he had little issue before, the new body offered much more. At first when it was brought up to Happstablook, they didn't know what to think about vision. Not that they never wanted to see, but the alternatives it could bring on the table were quite hard to grasp. But once the time came, Mettaton found himself stunned at just how versatile his new form was. His eyes could zero-in on one and anyone he chose, could scan basic details on an object or person and monster alike, and finally... Allow him to see in the dark.

Now granted, this new view was both basic and crude, not to mention unnecessary in his box body, or as Alphys sometimes called it; MTT TV. In this form, the improved night vision served little purpose since his own screen could more easily handle brightening up places and he often spent time in well lit rooms anyway, so night vision was at first pointless.

However, when it came to Ex form, it actually proved a lot more helpful. First, it was more advanced and allowed for him to view objects easily as if the lights weren't off to begin with. It allowed him to comfortably walk through any dark space with little trouble and calmly handle tasks with no worry. Combine the easy view with his more sleek and 'curvy' body and he rarely if ever bumped into furniture. It also allowed him to sneak about in his Hotel. Why you may ask? To keep a close eye on his employee's of course~!

Specifically, Burgerpants or Felix, as he felt that his Employee would slack off. Sooo, Mettaton opted on remaining hidden in a specific spot, silently watching and checking on his employee from time to time when he felt it was needed, which thankfully wasn't often. It also served an equally important role and that was dealing with damages and power shortages. As much as he hated to admit it, power outages did occur and often left his Resort in near total darkness, say for the lava just outside. This forced his employee's to brave the floors and risk bumping into things and one another, while attempting to get the lights back on. For his part, Mettaton was able to manage fine and even help calm his lovely guests while also aiding his staff at finding the problem.

It came in handy in the end, and was one of many things his new body offered that made him thank Toby Fox above for his friend, Alphys.

Now, just because he used it for good, didn't stop him from abusing the system and for bad. Specifically, being a tease. With a love (the reader) in mind, he would often use it either to sneak around in the dark, dead quiet and sneak up on them to scare. That was rare however, not to spoil his prank. Another use, this time in the more positive light, was for surprises, specifically for birthdays. Whenever he had to set up, working in the dark was easy and carried even less risk when he instead had the lights on. It meant that he was done in record time, and his surprise wasn't spoiled!

All and all, while a simple function at first, it ultimately allowed Mettaton to be more versatile in what he did. It gave him the ability to handle most situations and served the purpose of allowing him to work in the dark, no matter how rare it may be.