"I'm so sorry (Name)~"

Story context: You in this story, we're also a ghost, along with Napstablook, however, you shared no familial ties with either Mettaton or Napstablook. Instead, you were a close friend to Mettaton. You and he had practice side by side, you playing an (Instrument of choice) while he sang. You two had spent so long being side by side performing, not to mention helping Napstablook gain confidence and head out more, however, Mettaton began becoming distant, often not attending your music sessions and spending time with someone named Alphys... Then he just stopped... .... ...

He had only left a note that said: 

"Sorry (Name), 

But my dreams can't wait any longer~! I have my chance~! To become something greater then what I am~!

Thank you for being there for me and being there for Blooky, maybe our paths will cross soon enough, until then Darling~! 

From yours truly,

Happstablook~!"

You became sad... very sad... Happstablook was your best friend, someone you trusted and had so much fun with, you two were stars in your eyes. You both would "perform" for others in Waterfall, small groups of individuals who would pass by you two and would listen and even dance to your music. You two loved it! It was so much fun and you two loved entertaining people.

Now... now that could no longer happen anymore... No more talking about performing, no more performances, no more hanging out... No more spending time with your crush... 

You felt your tears come to your eyes and a few droplets land on the letter, causing you to see through it... You gently lowered your ghostly hand and allowed the letter to fall from your grasp, your tears falling to the floor and almost making an impact, only to disappear. You were greeted a while later by Napstablook who was also depressed now...

The following few days, you spent time trying to cheer Napstablook up, joining him on making music however, he needed little help with that. 

Then, you remembered the time you saw him... Mettaton on stage, a robot on a small wheel "Dancing" and singing until his soul content. He sounded wonderful... but that's when you realized who it was... that voice... ... You recognized it, it was Happstablook, now in his own body and achieving his dream. Meanwhile, you and Napstablook were still ghosts... ...and were left in Waterfall with little more than each other...

(TimeSkip)

Mettaton (POV)

(The sound of clicking heels echo throughout waterfall, with many gasping and awing in surprise as the Star made his way through. Right now, he had his chance to make up for lost time, to fix the mistakes he made. 

He entered through the passageway to his former home, where he had left his cousin... and his love~ Well, unofficial love at least. Entering the large cavern were all three homes rested in. Entering the room, Mettaton looked to the ceiling, seeing the 'sky' with the twinkling stones and dots that rested above, blinking down at him. He smiled to himself, the memory coming to his mind as he remembered his life from before he became a star.  

He hummed happily, such wonderful times... And then his grin faded when he remembered when he left... All that joy, replaced by worry, fear, and concern... He was trying to achieve his dreams... yet it was still a gamble, were people going to love him? Or hate him? Sure, he was the only star of the Underground, but it didn't mean he was going to be accepted as that... Boy was he glad everyone loved his singing a charisma. 

However, to achieve his dream, he had to leave his old life behind. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy his old life, but it just wasn't for him... spending so much time on a snail farm with hardly much to do was alright for a simple person or monster, but for Mettaton? No, he had to have more to it, something more to enjoy, love, and adore. And he got it, in exchange for family... He sighed as he stood in front of his cousin's door.

Reaching a handout, just about to knock until he stopped... would Napstablook accept him back after what he had done? Would he reject him and leave Mettaton with no one? He pondered this until he decided to just go through with it and knocked. Silence, as expected since Napstablook, nor (You) had any physical bodies. So he stood there for a moment and waited. 

Finally, the door opened, Mettaton spread his arms wide, ready for a hug and his eyes became filled with joy. Floating in front of him was both Napstablook and (You). 

(Mettaton): "I'm BACK Darlings~! Miss me~?"

You two remained quiet, not saying a word and just stared back at Mettaton.

(Mettaton): "What's wrong~?"

Without another word, you reached out for the door handle and slammed the door shut, right at Mettaton, who staggered back a bit, not expecting such a reaction and he stood there before sighing and his happy expression being replaced by a sad one...

He turned to face away from the door, sat down and brought his knees close to his chest, and wrapping his arms around them. Nothing could be heard, not for a while, say for Mettaton's inner workings whirring in place and the sound of Waterfalls in the distance.

(Your View)

Now he's back... Now he comes back!? After all this time!? You angrily sighed as you continue to float back and forth on the spot while Napstablook sat there looking at you, sad, a few tears in his eyes...

Seeing this, you quickly calmed down and floated over to blooky and hugged him tightly. Rubbing the back of his body in circles... your anger subsided. After all, even if you couldn't forget what Mettaton did, you could forgive him... you think. 
YOu then looked down at the door, noticing Mettaton's shadow from below the door move slightly and a note slip from under the door. Reaching down for it, you picked it up and you and Napstablook read it.

"I'm so, so, sooo, Sorry Darling...

Please forgive me~!"

You and Napstablook looked at one another and began writing on two notes.

Mettaton(POV)

Mettaton sat there for what felt like forever until he felt something slip past him. He looked down and saw a white piece of paper. He reached down, picked it up and brought it up to read. His heart sank and he nearly broke down in tears and what he read. Bringing a hand to his mouth. 

"You broke our hearts..."

Mettaton nearly broke down in tears, only for a second letter to appear.

"But we forgive you... (I guess)"

Mettaton cried a few tears of joy.