Out on the Plains

(Short and Fun) Cowboy AU

Struggling along with the cart, you managed to finally have it set just behind your horse who was waiting causally by a nearby stall for you. Hooking him up, you hopped on your horse's back before flicking the reins and off you went. Passing by the local Sheriff's office and prison, you could hear a struggle followed by a poor human sent flying out the front entrance and crashing right into a pile of barrels. Stopping for the moment, you watched the angered sheriff as he stomped out and towards the poor criminal, causing him to desperately try and get up only to be punched and knocked out cold. Sheriff Undyne then turned on her heel, her boots clicking on the timber of her sheriff's office while carrying the crook back inside. Shrugging it off, you just went on your journey. As your cart rolled through the town, you glanced around as its citizens wandered through their daily lives. Muffet's Bakery continued to sell well, her pet up front wearing a saddle and reins as it continued to pass about, like an attack dog. Watching this, you were careful not to give either her pet nor her attention, as they would eagerly try to sell you their product. Products that would leave you bankrupt in no time flat. Instead, you made your way over to the local saloon just near the middle of town where the Mayor's office was. Stopping just outside, you gave your mighty steed, (H. Name) a petting on the head before making your way inside. Dusting off your clothes from the long day of tending to the farm, you soon pushed your way inside where you noticed how lovely the place was. All around several tables and chairs, monsters and humans from all over were busy drinking away from shot glasses and beer bottles and the like. Wandering over towards the saloon's bar top, you found a seat where you tossed down several dollar bills and gold coins. Noticing you, Grillby calmly snatched up the money before disappearing behind the counter. Next moment, and a glass was sent sliding down the counter top and right into your open palm. Giving him a nod of thanks, you began to drink away whilst listening to the music that played. As you were, you turned your attention to the stage as a set of gals danced away, swinging their legs out which caused plenty of the audience to whistle and strain their eyes to get a better look.

Rolling your eyes you glanced up at the second floor as several tables were occupied, cards and coins being dropped with a cling on the table tops. The small puffs of smoke went up, often disappearing in a faint mist. Watching silently you went to take a gulp again when the music finally went to an end, the performers gave one last flash of their legs to the audience before disappearing backstage. Moments later and silence came after, then the piano was beginning to play. Next a violin and then a full band, as the curtains were pulled away and revealing a figure sitting alone in a chair. Dressed in a simple dress, including a corset with high heel boots, along with finely done makeup and hair, the main entertainment stood to his feet with one leg out-stretched. Then followed his voice, smooth and sultry as he soon pushed himself off his seat and began to approach the front of the stage. The audience was already beginning to go wild while you remained quiet on your spot by the bar, instead trying to ignore the 'entertainer' on stage. It was fairly uneventful, thanks to your attempts to avoid staring at the star. Unfortunately, he seemed to have other plans. In a sudden moment you felt something land neatly on your shoulder, and glancing over you gasped noticing it was a legging from the star, who once you turned to, causally winked at you before finishing off his show and disappearing backstage. Unsure of what to do with it, you decided to hide the legging away in your pocket to return. Paying an additional part of your tab, you went off towards the side entrance to the back.

Entering, you were greeted by several patrons staying over for private shows, or just to give flowers or other gifts to their favorite performers. Ignoring them for now, you soon found the one you were looking for. Mettaton's room was sat alone farther back then the others, just in front where several flowers, rings, gold and money alike sat at the foot off. Clearly you weren't the first to try and meet the star, and you doubt you'd be the last. Approaching at last, you gave one hard knock before stepping back. Causally glancing about, you waited for what felt like forever till finally you heard the foot-steps followed by the lock being click open. Next, the door was open partially, which gave you hardly a viewpoint to look inside his room. Unsure, you reluctantly stepped in and pushed the door open. "Come on in, dear. I know why you're here~" You felt yourself swallow, anxiously looking around but instantly finding the star in the middle of undressing. Thankfully he was still covered decently, but it still left you feeling embarrassed. Out of respect, you turned away while the star went ahead and finished dressing more casually. "So, you came here to return something. Yes~?" "Y-Yeah." Reaching into your pocket, you pulled out the legging before handing it over to the amused star, who happily accepted it back. "Goodie. I would have thought you might have taken it though, as a little prize." The star admitted this while he continued to prepare himself to leave for his home, while *Name) just watched on silently as they did so. Finally, *Name) spoke up. "Well, I figured it was better to give it back rather than take it for any sort of sick reason." "Regardless, mind if you could come with me? I might need an escort." "Um, I mean I could get the sheriff-" "Well, while that would be helpful- I'm sorry to say, but the Sheriff and I don't get along~" Puzzled now; "And why might that be?" Mettaton stayed silent for a brief moment; "Well... a friend, that's all I can really say sadly." Without another word worth saying, you two soon found yourself out back with your horse and cart ready to move out, while Mettaton waited patiently from just around the corner. Finally appearing, Mettaton gestured for you to follow to which you both did and soon you were both on your way home.

The ride was uneventful, neither of you having much to say but the silence was not awkward, so neither of you were tense to go along with it. As that was, however, you two soon came into sight of a small set of hills, in an area known as 'open-country' due to bandetes apparently existing there. Now the tension was felt as Mettaton turned towards you. "Stay alert. Who knows who could be out here with us." It sent a shiver up your spine, those words. But not willing to take a chance, you nodded while pulling out a revolver and loading it with a couple rounds. You'd hope never having to use it, but thankfully that wouldn't be the case. For now that was. As you two continued on, your horse's hooves trotting down the patches of green and brown forest floor, you soon found yourself nearing the end of the hills, where just then you two spotted something, or someone just on the horizon. Confused at first, you couldn't tell who it was; however, that didn't stop Mettaton from shouting; "RIDE!!!!" In an instant you and his horses sprung to life and off they dashed ahead, the mysterious figure soon propelling themselves forward as well and thus began the chase. Racing over one lengthy bridge over a raging river, and up one hill then down another, you realized you were slowing down thanks to your heavy cart. Glancing back, you instantly spotted your pursuer as they pulled out a weapon and took aim. Without hesitation you ducked as the woosh of a bullet caused your hat to fall off, landing thankfully into your cart. Next came another which forced you to turn your horse and cart to one side of the road, followed by the next and the follow up. It was tense as you watched ahead for obstacles while Mettaton remained much farther ahead, the distance growing. Frightened with what this would mean, you turned back and took aim. It didn't help that the horse was making your arm bounce around, keeping you from getting a clear shot. It wasn't long though, until you felt your finger push hard and pulled the trigger. One jolt forward, you watched as the one chasing you dropped their gun before falling off their horse, falling behind.

With a sigh of relief, you watched as Mettaton had slowed down and had his own weapon at the ready. "You good!? Where is ey!?" You shook your head, gesturing back. This caused Mettaton to relax, breathing a sigh in relief before gesturing for you two to keep moving. Eventually though, the chase had led you both of course and forced you to return to 'New Home' where you two would end up staying for the time being, you both still pretty shaken up following the encounter along the dusty roads out of town. Finding comfort in the soft bed-sheets, you failed to notice the star was busy staring at you just out of the corner of your eye, a faint blush as he was quick to write something down in his own personal diary, before you both went off to bed.

(The End)