A Tradition Founded

Alaia Skyhawk: Hehehe, lots of people liked the "Jack is related to Jamie" thing, and also Emily bossing both Jack and Albert around. Well, she's still going to be getting her way in this chapter too :)

Also, on a small side note, I'm going to explain why getting Albert to believe in Jack again, worked. 1: Because he used to belief in Jack. 2: Because Emily had a strong tie to him, he was more inclined to believe her words even if he was stubbornly sceptical. 3: The snowball definitely helped.

The trick wouldn't work with anyone who didn't know Jack as a child, unless that person is naturally more open to believing anyway. Such as someone with a strong love of stories about myths, legends, and folklore :)

Disclaimer: I don't own Rise of the Guardians, the Guardians of Childhood, or any related characters etc. This story is written purely for entertainment purposes.

~(-)~

Chapter 9: A Tradition Founded

It was with some disorientation that Jack woke the following morning, roused from his sleep by the firm nudge of a foot to his ribs. He opened his eyes to find himself inside a cabin, which he'd never been since he'd died, and then his view was dominated by the skirt of the woman who was nudging him awake.

Emily looked down at Jack where he'd dozed off on the floor, speaking as he in turn looked up at her.

"It's dawn. Now come on, we have things to gather."

Jack got up off the floor, and took hold of his staff from where he'd propped it in the corner. At the other end of the room, Albert was in a similar state of drowsy confusion.

"Collect what?"

Emily threw on her shawl and opened the front door.

"Things to make a garland with, silly. Now come help me pick what you want to be used to represent your festival."

"Eh?"

Jack stared at her as she went out the door, before he hastened to follow upon her leaving it open and making it clear she wasn't going to close it herself.

Outside the house, in the pale light, no one else was moving about yet. Only Emily left her footprints in the thin covering of fresh snow, as she walked into the woods until she found a patch of climbing ivy. She then began to cut off a few trailing lengths from it, before turning to her brother.

"I thought ivy would make a good base for the garland, since there's so much of it around and it's a lovely dark red at this time. What else should we weave in with it?"

She actually prodded him in the chest as she asked that, and Jack awkwardly took a step back before looking about at their surroundings.

"Umm." His eyes spotted a patch of what had been nicknamed 'Christmas Fern', because it stayed green all through the winter, and he pointed to it. "What about those? They hold the frost well, and will look good against the red."

Emily darted over to the plants, and grabbed several of the stems before grinning at him.

"Right. What else?"

Jack hesitated, still uncertain if or not this would get him into trouble. But then Emily looked so happy, and was having so much fun. He couldn't refuse.

He mulled it over.

"Something with berries on it, but not holly. I don't want anything with sharp edges or thorns."

Emily's smile widened, and she dashed away through the trees.

"I know! Winterberries!"

Jack glided after her, feeling his heart lighten at the sound of her joyful laughter. He watched as she gathered the clusters of berries on their woody stems, before the two of them headed back to the cabin and sat on the porch.