First of the Next Generation

Alaia Skyhawk: Hehehe, the title of this one says it all :)

Disclaimer: I don't own Rise of the Guardians, the Guardians of Childhood, or any related characters etc. This story is written purely for entertainment purposes.

~(-)~

Chapter 49: First of the Next Generation

Around a dozen Winter Sprites sat there, in a heap of sorts, their gazes fixed on the object of their attention. Their heads turning from side to side, back and forth, as if they were watching a tennis match. Beside them was Zuě Hu, his attention similarly fixated on the figure pacing to and fro, for Jack had spent much of the past week doing as he was doing right now. Which was to say that it was surprising he'd not worn a groove into the floor of the Hall of Mirrors.

He'd not left it at all since the 'due date' had arrived, even going so far as to shepherd the first advances of Northern Winter via his mirrors rather than going out and doing it directly. It was clear he was determined not risk missing a message by even a few minutes.

Zuě Hu shook his head to himself, and remarked with a hint of humour.

"With the way you're acting, people would think you were the father."

Jack glanced at him, waving his hands in emphasis as he continued to pace.

"The baby was due a week ago!"

Zuě Hu rolled his eyes.

"And doctors can and still do sometimes get their estimates wrong, and it is also hardly a rare occurrence for an infant to be born one or even two weeks late. It could be either of those, or even a combination of the two."

"I know."

Jack finally stopped, and instead stood there radiating tension. Enough so that his Lieutenant began to frown. Zuě Hu got up and walked over, stepping in front of Jack to look at him eye-to-eye in concern.

"You've been rather evasive at times, ever since that birthday party you held here, and it's gotten more frequent ever since Laura and Craig announced they were expecting their first child. You've been keeping secrets from us again, haven't you?"

Jack averted his gaze, an action that as much as admitted to guilt, before he sighed and stepped around the tiger to resume his pacing.

"I'm worried I won't have time to prepare them; Laura and Craig, and their child."

Zuě Hu frowned.

"And what do you mean by 'prepare'?"

Jack once again came to a halt, grimacing.

"Nightlight reported something to me after the party, which since then he's only told Sandy and not any of the other Guardians... He's seen signs of Pitch, skulking around in the shadows, no doubt beginning his plans for a strike." Jack turned to face him, solemn. "He's going to attack, and soon. Nightlight and the Man in the Moon were certain at the time that it would happen within two decades, and that was ten years ago. That means without a doubt that at some point during the next ten years, Pitch will make his move."

Zuě Hu twitched, his ears flicking back and forth uncertainly, before his expression hardened into understanding.

"Which means that Laura and Craig's child will be of an age at which they will be most vulnerable. To face Pitch without flinching, should he seek them out to try and get at you, will take very solid belief in the Guardians."

Jack bowed his head, frustration and unhappiness displayed in every line of his stance.

"All of the kids of Burgess will be a target, but I can't deny that any children belonging to the Bennetts, will be especially at risk once it's revealed that I'm a Guardian. He'll do everything he can to break their belief, them and everyone else in the family, because that's my greatest fear... To be forgotten by them."