Modern Town

Alaia Skyhawk: Ok, so that wasn't a 'couple of days'. It's just been a bit busy for me, so I'll update when I can.

Disclaimer: I don't own Rise of the Guardians, the Guardians of Childhood, or any other non-OC characters etc. This story is written purely for entertainment purposes.

~(-)~

Chapter 109: Modern Town

It took him a few moments to realise he was awake, such was the difference from his usual abode. The bed was too large, too soft, and left him feeling as though floating. The room was too warm, and it was far too bright and quiet... There was no pounding of a dragon on the roof, and the glare of sunlight-on-snow that came through the large window made no doubt that he wasn't inside a Viking hut.

Hiccup opened his eyes and sat up, leaving the bed to go to the window. The expanse of mountains, snow, and ice visible beyond it, dispelling the tiny hint of doubt that everything the past two days had been real. Waking up in Santoff Claussen had been different, it wasn't so outlandish as this place, but waking up here was definitely odd.

Hiccup pulled himself up onto the wide windowsill, tucking his knees up to his chin as his mind churned over all he'd seen so far. They ranged from intriguing, to startling, to outright shocking. He'd already experienced wonderment and dumbfoundedness in equal measure. Especially here at the Workshop, seeing all the things that North and the Yetis made for the world's children, and meeting the Yetis themselves.

Because they were a Tribe of Myth, too.

Hiccup let out a soft sigh, thinking about it. Being a 'Tribe of Myth' obviously had some far-from-obvious reasons for qualifying. At least far from obvious to him. What with Yetis, Dragons, and his own people all being such a group despite being so different from each other. He'd also, during the meal last night with North, Jack, and Sandy, heard mention of Unicorns, Pegasi, Selkies, and at least a dozen others. He'd have to ask Ombric about it before going back to Berk. The wizard was easy to ask questions to, and wouldn't chuckle or poke fun in the way Jack would.

Hiccup was still at the window a short while later, when a knock on the door of the guest-room heralded the arrival of a yeti. It wasn't one he recognised, then again he found them extremely hard to tell apart. Not to mention the fact they didn't speak his language made understanding them impossible. But this one was simply delivering a pile of folded clothing, shoes, and an attached note.

Hiccup went over to accept the bundle, starting to read the message even as the yeti went outside and closed the door. The note was from Jack, and even via paper Hiccup could imagine the cheerful tone of every word.

'Put these on and leave your normal clothes in the room. The yeti will guide you to North's lounge for breakfast. I've got a big couple of days planned!'

Hiccup set aside the note, looking somewhat bemused as he went on to examine the clothing he'd been given. If someone had been their to explain, they'd have told him the black and white shoes were 'sneakers', that the stiff blue trousers were 'jeans', and that the dark-green top with a dragon silhouette printed on it was a 't-shirt'. Regardless, even if someone had been there to explain, Hiccup's initial thought once he had them on would have been the same as he fastened the heavily-modified left shoe over the end of his false leg.

"People actually wear these?"

Feeling awkward in the strange clothes, Hiccup left his guest-room and followed the waiting yeti. But if the clothing wasn't an odd enough start to his day, even if the morning spent with North was interesting stranger still was when he arrived at the lounge for midday. Because Jack was supposed to be arriving for noon, and at the table inside North was clearly visible as one of the two sat there. But the other, a brown-haired young man, was someone Hiccup didn't recognise.