A Role that Needed Filling

>
Alaia Skyhawk: (Sorry for chapter up/chapter down, I realised last second I'd left shorthand planning at the start) Time for more heart-warming scenes of discovery and finding oneself :)

Disclaimer: I don't own Rise of the Guardians, the Guardians of Childhood, or any related characters etc. This story is written purely for entertainment purposes.

~(-)~

Chapter 70: A Role That Needed Filling

Kosmotis stood at the window of the 'postcard perfect' thatched cottage at the heart of his daughter's domain, gazing out at forests and gardens where all Seasons coexisted together. It had been three days since he was finally set free from the Fearlings, and both his daughter and Sanderson had spent much of that time explaining to him things that had happened and how things were here on this world. But now, with the Golden Age gone and himself now an immortal without a task or purpose, he felt lost. What was he supposed to do with his life now, beyond making up for lost time with his daughter?

"Father, I've made some tea."

Mother Nature entered the room, placing her hand on his shoulder and prompting him to look at her. His smile was sad.

"Thank you, Little Sparrow."

Mother Nature smiled in return at his use of that nickname from childhood, and she insistently tugged him towards the next room.

"Then hurry up, Papa Hawk, before the tea goes cold. We've got a guest too."

Kosmotis hesitated.

"A guest?"

Mother Nature continued to tug at him, until they arrived in the cottage's living room to see none other than Jack Frost sat in one of the chairs.

He waved, smiling.

"Hi. Since I've had three days good sleep, I thought I'd stop by before I head to the Guardians' annual meeting tomorrow. I wanted to make sure you were ok, after... how much I hurt you with my frostdust."

Kosmotis glanced at the white feathery bands of 'frost' encircling his wrists. His memories of when he was possessed were vague, and likely always would be, but he did have a lingering recollection of immense agony... And of someone telling him to hold on for just a bit longer.

He sat down with a sigh.

"There's no need to apologise. In fact, from what my daughter and Sanderson have told me, I owe you a great deal. Were it not for your help, I would still be a slave to the Fearlings."

Jack shrugged.

"Don't mention it. I know how much my family means to me. So when your daughter told me she wanted to try save you someday, I was happy to offer my help."

Kosmotis nodded, but remained solemn.

"For which I am grateful. You've been a good friend to her, and that means a great deal to me." He sighed again. "I'm happy to be free, and yet I now find myself without anything to which to dedicate myself other than her. I am now an immortal without a task, loaned strength by my daughter. I don't know what to do with myself now... With the Golden Age gone, my old role as a general for it no longer exists."

Jack and Mother Nature glanced at each other, before the former picked up and cooled his cup of tea before taking a sip. He then looked at her father with a small smile.

"If you willing to agree to come with me on a quick trip, I've something in mind I think you'll be for perfect for."

When Kosmotis looked to his daughter uncertainly, she nodded.