Immortality

Alaia Skyhawk: A quick update, which I doubt any of you will complain about :)

Disclaimer: I don't own Rise of the Guardians, the Guardians of Childhood, or any related characters etc. This story is written purely for entertainment purposes.

~(-)~

Chapter 102: Immortality

Jack regarded Tsar Lunar for a long moment, unsure whether to be overjoyed that Sophie was alive or pained at the knowledge it was only because she was now a Legend Immortal. Yes, she'd been a self-sustained immortal already, but that was entirely different. Before she would have been able to still have a family of her own, yet that was now impossible. She was alive, but forever handicapped by the restrictions of being sustained by belief alone. In fact, that was one of his greatest concerns.

"But she's an immortal created without a purpose in mind. She could be left struggling to find her place in this world, stranded and unable to gain believers."

Tsar Lunar glanced at him, his expression one of reassurance.

"You and I both know that is not truly the case. She already intended to become Aster's assistant, and that will not be affected by her new circumstances. As for believers, it will be a simple thing for you to spread stories of her, and for the Sandman to spread dreams of her. She will gain believers, and quickly, with your help."

Jack frowned a little, but couldn't argue since Tsar Lunar made a good point. Sophie would never struggle, not with the Guardians there to help her. The Bennetts would all help out as well. The hardest thing she faced right now, was coming to terms with the fact her old life was irrevocably over.

"What about Jamie? His potential is obviously why you've been giving him those lessons. Does that mean Ombric might become a Constellation too?"

Tsar Lunar sighed at that, seeming somewhat disappointed.

"Ombric shares the same potential, but has never reached the point of fulfilling it. I have tried teaching both him and Jamie about Etheric Theory; the cornerstone of the abilities of a Constellation. Ombric understands it, yet cannot fully grasp it. Yet right from the start Jamie had a real instinct for it. I've seen almost two dozen potential Constellations develop here on Earth over the past three millennia or so, but Jamie is the first to succeed. When you consider that the Golden Age average was one Constellation out of every two-hundred possibles, your nephew has defeated the odds."

Jack noticed the odd tone to the Constellation's words, realising something.

"Does... Does this mean that when we finally get visitors from the Silver Allegiance, you'll leave Earth and go back with them?"

Tsar Lunar faced him, but did not deny it.

"Not right away, not until I'm sure Jamie has learnt all he needs to in order to take my place here. But eventually, yes. I need to go, if I am to teach the five Constellations of the Silver Allegiance where they are making mistakes when they try and fail to create immortals. I also need to appoint and create the key immortals for all those worlds. A Father or Mother Nature, Spirits of the Seasons... And most certainly a Steward of Natural Fear, and a Guardian of Fun. Both of whom will be taught the importance of Natural Fear, and their duties in maintaining the balance of it. With that foundation in place, I can begin looking for other possible new Constellations. The Silver Allegiance will become the Golden Allegiance once more, and with it the Golden Age will be reborn. I can do none of that if I remain here."

Jack came closer.

"And if Jamie hadn't ascended by the time the visitors arrived?"

"I'd have bid the most stalwart of the five post-fall Constellations to take my place here, after tutoring them in the methods of keeping the Fearlings safely weakened and contained on Earth." Tsar Lunar looked to the Earth once more. "This world will always be the prison for those creatures, so long as they continue to cling to existence. There must be a Constellation here to maintain watch."