A Step Towards Understanding

Alaia Skyhawk: Ok, just an advance notice, some new OCs are about to be introduced, two of which are female. I can assure you that in this fic no OC will EVER be paired with one of the canon characters. As they do with my fics in other sections on the site, my OCs serve as background characters to add to the plot, and nothing more :)

Disclaimer: I don't own Rise of the Guardians, the Guardians of Childhood, or any related characters etc. This story is written purely for entertainment purposes.

~(-)~

Chapter 19: A Step Towards Understanding

Jack drifted into the Winter Sanctuary, feeling as if a burden had been lifted from him. The loss of his sister still hurt a great deal, but he knew that the greatest way he could honour her memory was for him to continue protecting the village and making the children happy. It was a purpose he could cling to as a reason to remain true to himself, instead of retreating into solitude to become a Spirit of Winter who was cold and dispassionate towards humans. Emily had been his guiding light all these years, and she always would be.

He wore a smile of semi-sadness as he landed on the plaza and walked into his palace, only to halt and scowl when he found the last person he wanted to see, waiting for him in the entrance-hall.

Mother Nature turned to regard him, and nodded in greeting.

"It has been a while, Jack."

His scowl deepened, and he brushed past her with a hint of anger.

"I'm in no mood right now. Go away."

Her gaze followed him, and before he could reach the stairway to the palace's upper levels, she spoke again.

"I felt this was something best left, until after your sister had passed away. I've given you time to grieve, but the time for further waiting has passed... You've tended Winter without assistance for too long. Just as your fellow Spirits of the Seasons did, you need to recruit Lieutenants. At the very least they will help keep you company, and give you some constancy in your life."

Jack stopped at the foot of the stairs, but didn't turn.

"I don't need any help. I think fifty-seven years proves that."

Mother Nature sighed.

"I know you don't need help tending to Winter itself, but there are several Winter Spirits out there... Jack, I will get to the point, it's more about you helping give them a purpose, than them aiding you." Jack turned, frowning at her, and she continued. "The Seasons are delicate, and without a Spirit of Winter to preside over them, I could not risk such individuals causing harm. Thus in all this time I made no Nature Immortals of Winter. In the absence of such spirits, even if they could never have seen or been aware of them anyway, humans can tell. Subconsciously they are aware of the servants of Ariko, Achieng, and Oisin, and were also aware that in Winter any similar presences were absent. When there is a gap, humans tend to fill it with explanations, legends, of their own."

Jack faced her fully, his eyes narrowing in confusion.

"Are you saying that whatever Winter Spirits there are, they're all Legend Immortals? Not a single one of them is a Nature Immortal like me?"

Mother Nature nodded gravely.

"Yes. And for that reason, after they arise, most then fade as quickly as ice exposed to flame. There have been many, hundreds, as the Man in the Moon's power answered the needs and wishes of the humans. But they rarely last more than a few years before they lose their fragile number of believers, and then the will to live."

Jack's eyes widened.

"They died?"

Mother Nature held a hand over her heart, solemn.