Drown or float

A chill runs up and then down my spine, causing my shoulders to shake

A chill runs up and then down my spine, causing my shoulders to shake. But there was no wind.

——

"Mom, wait up!" I shout over the running river. She pauses and looks over her shoulder at me while flashing me a soft smile. One that I don't regularly see.

I fasten my pace, skipping over sharp rocks and spikes on branches as I meet mom at the edge of a big rock, the flowing river below us is the only thing I could hear at the moment.

Mom sat down at the edge of the rock, letting her legs dangle in the air and putting her arms behind her as she uses them for support, I sit down a little behind her and bring my legs to my chest.

I woke up moments ago to moms side of the bed empty, and of course at first I felt like crying and panicking but then I heard her humming ring through the cracks of the window we have in our room.

And I knew where she would be.

I pluck some daisies from between the cracks of dirt. Wrapping them together to make a bouquet with some weeds.

I slowly inch my way to where mom is sitting and hold out the bouquet for her, she looks down at them and then at me and for a moment I thought she'll tell me to throw them over the rock...

But she doesn't.

She giggles softly and takes them from my hand, gently. It's rare, this gentleness and softness of hers is rare and seen once a year...

But I don't object to these moments.

I smile down at my lap while letting a relieved sigh.

"Benny won't be coming around any more," she pauses and I look up at her to see that she was already looking at me with excitement, "I told him to 'fuck off' , no more Lana. I know how I can sometimes get... dramatic... when I'm intoxicated. But I'm trying." She says, wrapping one of her arms around my shoulders and I lean my head on her chest.

"Do you promise mama?" I say, closing my eyes when the pause turns into a long silence.

"I'm trying, Lana." She says, tightening her grip on me, causing me to stiffen up without realizing it. I open my eyes. I can see her bring the flowers to her nose and smelling the fresh flowers. " my sweet girl." She adds, kissing the top of my forehead.

A quite chuckle erupts from the back of my throat, "I love you, mama." I say, closing my eyes again, and let her hair shield my eyes from the sun as it covers half my face.

"I love you too, sweet girl." She says softly.

Moments later I feel mom detached herself from me and stands up, I follow her movements with my eyes.