Volume 1 - The Inception| 42: All life is precious.

Buuuuup. The sound of the trumpet horn resounded from the audience behind me, attracting the serpent's attention towards my side. 

My eyes widened as I gasped in horror seeing Bakunawa, the terrifying serpent, turn its dark blue head and menacing eyes to me. 

Without any warning, Bakunawa bared its sharp fangs as it slithered its rocky scaly body on the ground, accelerating at the speed of wind to my direction.

My drumming heart skips a beat as I become paralyzed, feeling my feet go cold and numb. 

"Shit…" I muttered under my breath, gulping as I held my breath, waiting for the worse to come. 

"Dodge, dumb lass!"

I heard Alexandra's voice yelling somewhere from the audience, and instinctively, my body moved on its own. With my right leg jumping to the side, I dodged the head on attack from Bakunawa. 

Bakunawa bangs its horn on to the wall, bouncing back because of the invisible shield. 

The crowd cheered loudly, repeatedly yelling, "kill, kill, kill!"

"Whew…that was close…" I mumbled, wiping the sweat building up on the side of my face as I ran and walked, limping as I escaped from the serpent Bakunawa. 

"Behind you!"

Once more, Alexendra yelled somewhere in the audience, and without thinking much, I moved my body by instinct as I remembered my days of hellish training. 

Jumping yet again to the side, I dodged the hit, and Bakunawa's head ended up smashing the ground.

"Geez, give me a break!" I exclaimed, limping faster away from the insane serpent. 

Bakunawa stood back up roaring and hissing its fangs at me. 

"Bakunawa, calm down!" I yelled back.

Yet, it seems it made Bakunawa even more upset as it rushed forward. I dodge, hopping to the side with my right leg.

Bakunawa crashed its snakey pointed tooth on the ground, and as a result, its canines got stuck on the floor. Bakunawa let out a shrilling cry as it wiggled its whole body pulling its sharp teeth out, but it seems that Bakunawa's fangs were deeply rooted as it remained inserted beneath the surface of the arena. 

I heaved a sigh of relief, thinking I only need to wait for the time to pass. However, a piece of steel suddenly was thrown next to me. I gulped seeing the razor blade, then my eyes stared at the culprit who threw the sword.

"Pick up the sword, and thrust it to Bakunawa's body," the gladiator woman said, gesturing to the weapon next to me.

My brows knitted, staring at the gladiator woman. 

"That sword is the only way to bring the serpent back to its slumber," the gladiator woman added.

My creased brows deepened hearing this. Still, despite my expression, I walk to the blade, picking it up. 

"Kill!" 

The crowd blared in a roar even more loudly.

Holding the sword in my hand, I approached limping, dragging my wounded left leg as I slowly sauntered my way to the hissing blue serpent.

Bakunawa let out a piercing cry, and I saw tears building up in its eyes. Bakunawa looked afraid as it showed fear in its eyes. 

My inner eyebrows cross up together, staring in pity at the blue serpent Bakunawa. I gaze down at the sword on my hand and bit my lower lip as I contemplated on what to do.