Volume 2 - The Beginning of the End| 71: A night's farewell celebration.

Under the light of the glowing moon, we all sat on the ground surrounding the bonfire we built. 

After Pula's funeral, almost a week has already passed. Tonight, the 20th day of the month of July, is our last night here in Pariah Sanctuary.

Anggitay arranged a farewell grand feast for me and Bakunawa. This is also to make up for the delayed welcoming feast when Bakunawa and I arrive in this place, and according to Anggitay, life should always be celebrated. 

There will always be a time when sadness comes, but it doesn't mean that we should forget to make ourselves happy, is what Anggitay said.

Of course, I have to respect that custom despite feeling sad at the moment. Since this celebration is not just for me but also mainly for Bakunawa. 

So, at this moment, everyone is silent waiting for Anggitay, standing in front of the bonfire, to start the opening speech for the celebration.

My eyes roam around on everyone sitting with me on the ground. We all surround the huge bonfire in the middle. From where I'm seated; there is Capriana from the Kapre race. Ynez from the Blue-rabbit Clan. Lampong, the sacred beast mouse-deer, and the guardian of monsters. Bakunawa, the serpent-dragon of the sea. And many other halflings that were born with two blood-race on their veins. 

According to Bakunawa, this area of the Pariah Sanctuary is just a part of the huge place of the ruin. 

During the war five hundred years ago, this Pariah Sanctuary used to be a hidden headquarters for the sacred beasts, and the Sect of Idianale was destroyed after that.

However, four hundred years after that war, the Sect of Idianale was officially destroyed by the human race, and the Sect of Idianale became history.

After the Sect of Idianale was destroyed. The sacred beasts lived separately and scattered from different parts of the world. The guardian of the forest and the guardian of the monsters, Anggitay and Lampong, both decided to use the crumbled sect as an orphanage. 

They used the hidden headquarters to build Pariah Sanctuary. Gathering homeless individuals in this place. And many of those homeless individuals are children.

Most of these children are halflings. Born with two races in their blood. No one wanted to accept them because they aren't pure blooded. So, these halflings were treated as an abomination. 

Everyone here is homeless. 

Just like Pula, and just like me.

"Ahem, welcome everyone." Anggitay said on the horn-like speaker, getting the attention of everyone. 

Everyone started to clap, and I clapped along with them. 

"First of all, I am truly grateful that everyone volunteered to help make this small celebration for our visitors. Well, everyone knows that we don't often get a guest in this place, so I know that everyone is also quite excited just like I am," Anggitay said with a soft smile.

Then Anggitay's eyes went to me. "I'm also sincerely grateful for our guests, Sister Nasrin and Sister Bakunawa…"

Bakunawa and I nodded our heads to everyone who glanced at us, calling us sisters. Because this is what everyone refers to each other here. According to Anggitay, everyone in this world are all creations that came from the ashes of the Acacia Tree. That's why for everyone here, the world is just a huge complicated family. 

"To Sister Nasrin and Sister Bakunawa, we are all grateful that you brought back the body of Sister Scarlett, the child of our Sister Alice…"

When Anggitay said this, everyone subconsciously glanced at me with a sincere smile on their faces.