Volume 3 - The Affairs of the Protagonist| 80: For the sake of atonement.

Tall shadowed trees pointing up into the night sky covered in glittering stars. Through the dim shadows of the woods, Kendra runs along with the sway of the breeze; like she has become one with wind herself.

As Kendra ran through the dark woods, following the fading trails from Emilia's traces of footsteps on the east. Kendra saw a light and a small smoke coming from a distance from the west.

Little by little, more small lights of fire started to appear in random places from every corner in the distance, lighting up the dark forest a bit. One small light also appeared from the east, and it is where Emilia's trails are headed to. 

Seeing the small light of fire and smoke from every direction; Kendra stopped running as she pursed her lips. 

[It seems that the night is also not going to be easy for me. Especially since Emilia also lit up a campfire on her own...] Kendra thought to herself.

If that's the case, Kendra wouldn't be able to approach Emilia easily either. At this, Kendra released a sigh of resignation as she sat down inside the bush next to a tree, leaning her back against the trunk to rest for the night. 

Being unable to use the fire element is like she had one of her legs cut off. The problem is, it became a huge handicap for Kendra as she is unable to operate with one glimpse of fire. 

Now, Kendra has no choice but to postpone her plans for the time being. Or at least until these lights and smokes of fire slowly disappear. 

As soon as all of these fires faded, Kendra would immediately continue. After all, time is precious in this competition, so Kendra better not waste any single moment of it.

Anyway, Kendra has already prepared an alibi. And the plan is Kendra would tell those two that she doesn't know how to hunt as an excuse, so it would also deceive her enemies watching her from the audience. 

In truth, Kendra's alibi is not all lies. 

It also held some truth. Because Kendra honestly has no idea how to hunt. Kendra's forte is not in this field after all. Having said that, it also doesn't mean that Kendra is helpless against hunting. In fact, Kendra has a basic knowledge on how to hunt. 

It's just that, what Kendra used to hunt was not monsters but people. It happened back when Kendra hadn't time travelled into the past yet. 

During her marriage, because of the increasing number of people rebelling against the aristocrats and the royal family; the scumbag Cliopatra placed Kendra as the healer and as the tactician of the Kingdom's militia. 

Since the people they were at war with were their own fellow people. Kendra didn't feel happy about it.

Even if those people are rebelling against the royal family; Kendra didn't want to have a war with them, so Kendra declined. Although, under normal circumstances, Kendra would accept these requests from Cliopatra with no question. 

But her father's last wish before he died was for Kendra to join the rebel army. Since Kendra was still blindly in love with Cliopatra at that time, she ended up choosing to become part of the aristocrats instead, marrying the scumbag princess.

In spite of that, Kendra never regretted loving Cliopatra, but Kendra blames herself for being unable to help with the situation of her own people. After all, Cliopatra prohibited Kendra from joining the world of politics. 

So Kendra chose not to take a stance on the matter of war as well. Only accepting the position of the healer. But Cliopatra is the type of person who wouldn't give up until she succeeds in getting what she wants. 

Because right after Kendra's refusal, Cliopatra tried all sorts of ways to convince Kendra that what they were about to do would be for the greater good of the kingdom. That scumbag princess used emotional and mental manipulations on Kendra.