Volume 3 - The Affairs of the Protagonist| 79: Inspired by the dean master.

In the shadow inside the bush, where Kendra can't see, red bloody eyes and lips appeared observing the feeble-looking Kendra. 

"My dear pupil, what happened to you?" 

A chilling feminine voice echoed in Kendra's ears behind her. 

Hearing the cold familiar voice, Kendra immediately plastered a polite smile as she turned around, and like what Kendra had predicted, it's indeed Penelope. 

"Master? What are you doing here?" Kendra asked politely, but deep inside, Kendra was wary.

Penelope rolled her eyes, getting out of the shadow as she sat next to Kendra. "I came to check how my dear pupil is faring in the competition, and…" Penelope trailed, glancing at Kendra's pale complexion.

Penelope pursed her lips, squinting her eyes, then she sighed in resignation. "I've been worried about your well-being for quite some time now, and I could feel you've been acting off like you're carrying some heavy rock in your heart," Penelope stated with chilling red eyes. 

After interacting with Penelope as master and pupil, and based on Kendra's understanding of Penelope during those interactions; Kendra is sure that Penelope is the type to hide her emotions behind anger, viciousness, and coldness. 

Right now, Kendra judges that Penelope is probably hiding her worried feelings under the guise of coldness. 

Kendra knows this because Penelope is also a lot like her. They are both suspicious of everyone and have severe trust issues. There are also many differences, but the most noticeable ones for Kendra is that Penelope uses coldness and viciousness as a front cover. 

Meanwhile, in order to interact with everyone, and to hide her insecurities and weakness; Kendra uses her polite and friendly smile. However, in spite of knowing these things, Kendra still dares not let her guard down in front of Penelope.

"I see, I apologise for troubling you master," Kendra replied apologetically. 

Hearing this did not make Penelope feel any better. On the contrary, Penelope felt even worse. Especially seeing Kendra's feeble and delicate appearance. 

Penelope squinted her eyes even more. "As your master, it's my responsibility to guide you, but if you wish not to tell me, then that's fine, however…"

Taking a silent deep sigh, Penelope slightly softened her eyes, but it still held a ting of coldness as she continued. "I learned from my master that the responsibility of taking care of a disciple doesn't only lie in teaching them how to be strong and capable. But also to become their pillar of support when they most needed it. And naturally, that became my duty when I took you in as my pupil, Kendra."

Kendra felt warmed in her heart, but she still did not dare let her guard down as she remained polite and amiable. 

However, Penelope did not mind as she chuckled a little. "Speaking of master, did you know why I took you in as a pupil?" Penelope questioned, curving her red bloody lips. 

Kendra felt curious. "Why? Does it have something to do with your master?"

Penelope nodded her head. "Correct, and my dear pupil, she resembles you a lot. I think both of you are relatives, but I'm not sure. Perhaps the name Agatha rings a bell?"

Kendra furrowed her brows slightly. "Forgive me, but I don't seem to remember anyone from my family with that name, maybe she's someone from my father's relatives. When I was young, I was often told by my father that I resembled so much his late twin sister who had already passed away because of an accident."

"I see," Penelope replied. "I didn't mean to bring back old wounds, that wasn't my intention…"

Kendra shook her head, smiling politely. "It's fine, master."