Volume 2 - The Beginning of the End| 70: Just this once.

[Step back, mortal. I'll handle this.]

Bakunawa hurriedly transmitted a message in my head, and I nodded at her. I felt the cold haze lingering on my legs as I moved a step back.

"Don't ignore me you despicable hooman!" The little girl with blue bunny ears stomps her feet, dismantling the foggy smoke on the ground around her.

I smiled wryly at the little girl. Yet, my friendly smile only made the little girl even more angry. The little girl gritted her teeth, dashing forward to me.

However, Bakunawa came in front of me, removing her cloak as she showed her face. The little girl stopped instantly, staring at Bakunawa confusedly.

The two stared at each other in silence. I think they are both speaking to each other through telepathy. Not entirely sure how things work.

After a while, the little girl suddenly gasped in shock. "A...a sacred beast...?!"

Bakunawa nodded affirmatively.

The little girl frowned, looking antsy. "You! I don't know who you are, but you shouldn't have brought a hooman to this place! Go back and leave! You guys are not welcome here in Pariah Sanctu-"

"Ynez, don't be rude to our guests, didn't I tell you that two visitors will be coming?" A gentle feminine voice of a woman resounded behind the dark woods shrouded with mist.

Slowly, a figure came into view, walking out from the shadows behind the bush.

The woman has the upper body of a human; her lower body from waist down to her legs is a figure similar to a horse, and in the middle of her forehead is a single horn similar to Bakunawa.

The woman smiled at me and at Bakunawa. "It's been a long time since the Pariah Sanctuary had a wandering guest, and two unique individuals at that," she commented, staring at me in particular, then her eyes went down to Pula's body covered in dark thick fabrics.

"But Sister Anggitay, the other one is a hooman, and the hooman is holding a dead body!" The little girl said, pointing at me with her small finger.

I smiled harmlessly at her, but the little girl only gnashed her teeth in anger.

The woman named Anggitay peered her eyes sternly at the little girl. "Ynez, must I repeat myself to you? I told you that we will be having two visitors today, didn't I?"

Ynez frowned, but she nodded at Anggitay.

Anggitay smiled softly at Ynez. "Well, go gather the others to prepare a welcoming feast for our guests."

Ynez still had an unhappy expression on her face, but she still left obediently while glaring at me. Afterwards, Anggitay turned her head to me then to Bakunawa.

"Now, tell me my dear Bakunawa, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Anggitay said, squinting her eyes at Bakunawa.

I glanced at Bakunawa, and she stared back at me.

[Anggitay is a sacred beast like me, the guardian of the forest. Anggitay must have already heard from the spirit of the trees that we're on our way here to Pariah Sanctuary.] Bakunawa explained.

I nodded understandably. "I see, let's go talk to her then," I said, walking.

However, Bakunawa pulled me back, grabbing my shoulder.

[Wait here, and let me handle this.] Bakunawa transmitted as she started walking, stopping in front of Anggitay.

I'm left with no other choice but to wait.

Anggitay and Bakunawa stared at each other with solemn faces. They are both probably talking through telepathy again. Because Bakunawa can't speak fluently in the modern language of humans. And when I volunteered to teach her, Bakunawa disdainfully refused.