Volume 2 - The Beginning of the End| 69: Sanctuary in mystic forest.

The crunching leaves beneath my boots resounded across the dark woods, and the scent of the moist dirt and dead leaves entered my nose, making me remember that Alexandra made me taste the shit out of it.

Because according to Alexandra, it will help me get myself familiarised with my earth attribute. And I can't help but gag at the memory.

I shook my head, erasing the unsightly image in my head. I raised my eyes, looking at my surroundings to wash off the image I have on my mind.

The light of the sun barely manages to glimpse in through the branches of the tall trees.

Clumps of bushes hid the trails and the path, making me raise my guard up, staring with caution at my surroundings. I remember that Alexandra told me that this place has evil spirits lurking around in the shadows, and right now, I feel like I'm being watched by the unforeseen.

[We're getting closer to the ruins.] Bakunawa transmitted to my head, walking past the bushes.

I followed behind Bakunawa as I held Pula's body covered in a dark fabric five times.

"When was the last time you visited this place?" I asked, matching the pace with Bakunawa.

[I think about fifty or sixty years ago.] Bakunawa answered thoughtfully with a reminiscing face.

My eyes widen as I glance at Bakunawa. "You're as old as my granny on earth..." I mumbled, gasping in shock.

Bakunawa darted her eyes on me then rolled her eyes. [Do I look like an old hag to you, huh, mortal?]

I smiled wryly. "No, you look so young. I was just surprised that your age is around fifty years old...?" I said unsurely, grabbing the back of my neck with awkwardness.

Bakunawa chuckled, showing her canines on display. [I'm older than that, mortal. For sacred beasts, age is just a number because we don't really get old like other races in this world. Our physical body is always being maintained by the divine energy residing inside our body, so many humans sought this power. If I had a choice, I would rather grow old like humans do...] Bakunawa transmitted, sounding a little sad and tired.

I nodded understandably. I don't know how it feels to live an old life, but I think as long as I can live a peaceful life, then I'll be able to get through the loneliness of the age. Anyway, as long as I'm alive, I will make sure to fulfill my promise with Pula.

[I think we're here.] Bakunawa transmitted as she stopped near the edge of a cliff.

I stopped as well, standing beside Bakunawa as I gaze down.

Pillars, standing tall like they were worn out by time. Half-destroyed structures surrounded with grass that is as tall as me, and housing small and overgrowth creatures. The structures no longer have a roof, and everything else looks like it would crumble with one more storm.

The trees creak in with the flow of the wind, making me whiff of a strong fragrant of greenery. Smelled so much like earth to me.

[Let's go check the area.] Bakunawa transmitted, glancing at me.

I nodded, and we both climbed down, walking on the potholed steps and scarred staircases.

As we walked down, it made me feel regret that I removed my cloak earlier. Because now I feel itchy. The tall grass, brushing off the bare skin on my arms is a little annoying.

Passing through cracked stone-walls covered with thick vines and green foliage. I almost stumble and fall on my face because of the uneven ground.

Fortunately, I managed to steady my footing on the marble-like floor. Yet, for some reason, I felt a shudder behind my head.