Best Behaviour

At first, Venom didn’t understand the concept of house cleaning. Back on Klyntar, he never really had a true family or nest to call his own, was more of a nomad, if anything. And if Eddie hadn’t shown him how fun existence really could be, he would still be stuck on that dreadfully boring and dank planet.

But Venom does understand that Eddie gives up a lot for him, that she does nice things for him (namely, letting him eat bad guys and play the hero she pretends even to him she doesn’t want to be, but also things like buying him as much chocolate as he wants and letting him keep Sonny and Cher again, even after their big fight and separation last year.)

And he’s been trying his best not to ever let something like that happen again, and is more than overjoyed that the only arguments they have these days are petty and merely them trying to outdo one another. Which, he thinks, is fun, because Eddie is funny and he likes her dry writer’s wit and her stuck up and slightly cocky sense of humour.

Then, there is last night.

Last night being that Venom only just admitted to himself that he was nervous, finally got over it and asked Eddie out on a real date. He’s never been on one before and that in itself is exciting to him. Which brings him back to the whole clean nest thing. Eddie does nice things for him all the time, so after she had fallen asleep last night, Venom began to clean up their apartment as best he could (which is pretty good, he thinks, considering he can do most things well.)

Thankfully, Eddie is a bit of heavy sleeper, though, he thinks she’s learned to be with him floating around her each night. It’s not that he doesn’t sleep, he can and does, sometimes, when Eddie’s dreams are particularly imaginative and fun (he guesses that’s a writer thing), it’s just that he doesn’t need sleep to restore his energy. Eddie is his perfect host, pretty much his eternal source of... well, everything.

Sonny and Cher are not particularly helpful as Venom has to gently manoeuvre them out of the way each time they wonder back into the kitchen. “I already told you both, I don’t need any help today!” He snips quietly, keeps his voice low as to not wake Eddie. “I need to do this by myself. Shoo! Go on, shoo!” He hisses, two tiny tendrils shooting out to gently usher the birds back out. They make a fuss and Venom shushes them through another hiss, but otherwise, they finally flutter back towards their little pen.

Venom stares down at the laptop, grinning with excitement as a tiny tendril darts out and presses the enter button. Eddie won’t mind him using her Prime account... too much... he hopes. Besides that little deviance, he’s on his best behaviour for now. He floats back over to the frying pan when he hears the oil sizzling, tendrils reaching into the fridge and pulling out only three eggs (Eddie taught him about human proportions) and four slices of bacon (Eddie swore to break his teeth again if she ever had to eat another sausage.) He cracks the eggs (Eddie also taught him not to include the shells as he tosses them into the garbage can), slaps the bacon down next to the eggs, the smell already making him so hungry that he can feel himself drooling a little.

He feels a drop of that drool splinter off, quickly snaps out of his hungry thoughts to catch it before it falls into the pan. “Oop! Ahhh! Not today!” He chirps proudly as he wipes his tiny drool covered tendril on a paper towel before tossing that into the garage can, too.

See? Best behaviour.

‘Eddie is a good teacher.’ Venom thinks rather fondly to himself as he watches the bacon curl and the eggs bubble, though, this time, doesn’t float right over the pan where his drool can try to get at Eddie’s breakfast again. Eddie’s phone suddenly buzzes loudly against the coffee table and Venom can only hiss loudly and curse. “No! Shit! Shh!”