Watch

‘I am so bored, Eddie. This is so boring.’

“This was your idea.” Eddie reminds him, clear annoyance in her hushed tone.

‘Yes, well... stakeouts look a lot more fun in movies and television.’

“Technically, this is classed as stalkin’.” Eddie says, half distracted as she watches Patrick writing up his police reports.

They’ve been watching him for a couple of hours now, and this is the fourth night running. And absolutely nothing is happening.

‘He is quite dull... I hope Toxin will not be so dull... or we might just have to kill them both.’

“Yeah, you’d love that.”

‘I would, yes.’

Eddie smirks to herself. She takes her eyes off the Detective for a moment, reaches down into their little stash of supplies for a can of beer. She cracks it open and takes a few large gulps before timidly edging forward and peering over the edge of the rooftop. She spares a two second glance down to the dimly lit street below before pulling back with a shiver.

Venom’s chuckle rumbles in her mind. ‘So silly, you are, Eddie. You could jump right off of this roof and land without even a scrape of harm.’ He only teases a little, mainly because what he says it completely true.

“I know.” Eddie nods, takes another few gulps of beer to calm her nerves. “In fact, since I met you, I don’t even feel the usual dizziness that comes with the almost cripplin’ fear. It’s just left over trauma.”

Venom is silent for a good few moments before finally speaking. ‘I very much wish I was around to meet your disgrace of a father. But I don’t think he would have liked me all that much.’ He’s only half joking... only, not really, because he’s totally serious.

Eddie chuckles, nods her agreement. “Yeah, I don’t think he would have, either.” She smirks as her eyes absentmindedly land back on Patrick (through his living room window with him on the edge of his seat, couch surrounded by paperwork.) “Would have been awesome to see him piss his pants in fear for once. See the look of terror in his eyes.”

Venom is silent again. He’s slightly timid now, himself, as he rather quietly mumbles out his words. His voice is soft, and he doesn’t want to upset her, but he can’t help asking. ‘He... he made you pee yourself?’

Venom sees a flash of little Eddie’s face, all flustered and shiny eyed. And even in the memory, no matter how brief she lets him see it, he can feel through her, can feel her fear, can smell the vodka on her father’s breath and the pee running down her little legs.

“Sometimes it was out of fear and I couldn’t stop it.” Eddie feels an odd sort of peace over being able to speak so freely about it. And she can’t help but smile a little on the inside over how cautious Venom is being about it. “But then, I learned that he was more likely to leave me alone if I did it. So, I quickly took full advantage of that fact. And most of the time, it worked.”

‘I will never let anybody hurt you ever again, Eddie. I promise.’ Venom really can’t think of anything else to say to all of what she just told him. Mainly because he’s still trying to process it all without uselessly giving into his rage over a long since dead human.

If only time travel was another one of his talents.

Eddie lets out a rather chocked laugh, though, her throat is only tight because of how fiercely she feels his words. “I know, love.” She smiles when he only lets those deep purring rumbles gently ripple through her mind. “Oop! We got movement from the Detective!” She hisses with excitement... OK, so it’s been really tedious, she can’t help it if she’s gleeful for Patrick finally moving from his spot, walking into the kitchen and – “Oh, for cryin’ out loud! He’s gettin’ more coffee. Which means he’s tryin’ to stay awake to do even more paperwork.”

‘I told you this was boring, Eddie.’

Eddie ignores his scolding, huffs and gulps down the last dregs of her beer. “Are you sure Patrick’s pregnant with your son’s baby?” She’s totally serious in asking, but she feels she might as well get some teasing done while they’re still waiting for something to happen... anything...

Venom scoffs quietly. ‘You make it sound like an episode of Jerry Springer.’ He drawls out, clearly unimpressed.

Eddie chuckles lightly. “Yeah, that was my intention.” She gasps in shock, clearly mocking him as she hisses, “The scandal of it all!”

Venom scoffs again, though, joins in with her little game. ‘And half-mast famous journalist Eddie Brock is in the middle of it all.’ He replies with full snootiness.

Half-mast? How dare you!” Eddie scoffs back, still half teasing, but now slightly offended.

Venom snorts. ‘Oh, I dare. I dare very much!’ He snips, then shoots her an image of his smug and toothy grin as he continues to mock her right back. ‘I can see it in the papers now: “Eddie Brock; Bride of Lethal Protector and Venom himself, proud grandparents!”

Eddie almost opens her mouth to fire back a witty comeback. Instead, she blinks, feels slightly less alarmed than she thinks she probably should feel when she actually realises – “Shit... I’m not even 40 yet, and I’m already a grandma.” His chuckles rattle her brain so wonderfully (even if they’re clearly mocking), but Eddie is still in slight shock... and then, slightly concerned as she asks, “Do I look old, V? I mean, I don’t feel old, but that’s obviously because of you. Like, you said you could keep me alive for a real long time, but does that mean I’m gonna end up lookin’ like a wrinkly old hag? Oh, my God... I’m gonna end up lookin’ like a wrinkly old hag! V, maybe we should talk about this whole near immortality thing, because –“

‘OK, stop. Calm yourself, Eddie. It’s not funny anymore, it’s just really sad and awkward for us both.’ Venom thinks he’s getting a lot better at this whole calming voice thing. Of course, it does also help that through their bond, he can calm her nerves by sharing his own calmness with her.

It’s only their bond that allows them to share emotion, rather than another talent of his. Though, manipulating mind and emotion is not an ability he wish he had. Mainly for personal reasons, but also because he would never do that to Eddie, even if he could.

Venom waits for her to take a few deep breaths, waits for her to feel relaxed again before he speaks again. ‘You will never age, Eddie. At least, not passed the age you were when we first met and merged. I cannot de-age cells, I can only replicate the ones already there.’

“Oh... well, alright then...”

Venom chuckles, lets a small tendril seep out of her skin, though, he stays below her clothes as he wraps it snugly around her wrist. ‘I will look after us, look after you, Eddie, for as long as I live. I promise that, too.’

“Awh, V.” Eddie cooes, heart swelling with affection... and then, total dread, because – “Uh, babe... we got incomin’.”

Venom feels a twitch of fear that’s neither his own or Eddie’s. ‘I think he’s about to wake up, Eddie.’

“Well, is that good?” Eddie’s voice is slightly panicked. “Fuckin’ mutants! It’s another fire one! Good fuckin’ damn the fire and sound mutants of the world! Fuck this!” Eddie throws down her beer can, and with a gulp steps up onto the edge of the rooftop. “Don’t you dare let me fall.” She mutters as she takes a couple of deep breaths. “Do you plan on comin’ out at any point? Like right now?”

Venom ignores her sarcasm. ‘Wait.’

Eddie scoffs as she watches Patrick yelp and dart behind his couch, the mutant then literally toasting all of his hard laboured paperwork. “Wait? Why? This bitch is gonna roast him! Roast your baby Venom!”

Watch, Eddie...’