Wife

“So, are you gonna tell me what the surprise is, or are you just gonna leave me hangin’ until tonight?” Eddie tries to sound as absentminded as possible as she sorts through her wardrobe for something fancy enough to wear – though, not too fancy, she supposes; it’s only another house they’re all going to, after all, still, she doesn’t want to look like a slob.

“I know you know the meaning of the word ‘surprise,’ Eddie. So, what do you think?” Venom says as he sprouts out of the skin at the back of her neck. He grins at her when she rolls her eyes with a cute little scoff. “And I wouldn’t be apposed to you just wearing what you are wearing now...” He adds, this time with a cheeky grin.

Eddie has to chuckle at that, glances down at her booty-shorts and white tank top (no bra), then, turns to him with her brow raised. “I don’t feel like spendin’ my birthday tryin’ to keep you from eatin’ every guy that so much as looks my way. But thanks for the totally unhelpful suggestion.”

“Welcome.” Venom replies, still grinning as he ignores her blatant sarcasm.

Eddie rolls her eyes again, but can’t help smirking, of course, can’t help teasing him with, “Although, I’m sure Patty would enjoy the view...” Her smirk widens when his grin quickly morphs into a withering look, his eyes slowly narrowing as she adds, “Y’know... ‘cause he’s so subtle about it...”

“Well, he isn’t... it’s annoying.” Venom grumbles, “He needs to find his own wife.”

Eddie laughs, can’t help grinning as she asks, “Oh, so I’m your wife, now, huh?”

“The symbiotic bond is practically a marriage, yes.” Venom replies rather snootily as he adds, “I’m not the only one of my kind that can bond without being a... parasite. I’m just the only one that ever chose to do so.”

Eddie knows he’s teasing her back, but she still feels the guilt over that word after all she’s learned in the last couple of weeks. She knows he knows she doesn’t mean any of it, but she still feels the need to tell him. “I’m really sorry for callin’ you a parasite, V. You know I –“

“I know, Eddie. You never mean to hurt me. Just another reason I love you so much.”

“Love her so much it hurts...”

The memory that Toxin gave her pops into Eddie’s mind before she can stop it – before she has time to finally work up the courage to tell him what she knows.

Venom seems initially alarmed, then clearly all too bashful as his bows head along with his gaze from hers.

“Sorry...” Eddie finds herself mumbling, feels slightly awkward and still guilty... ugh. “Toxin just wanted to help.” She then lets him hear it all; all the words of Venom’s that Toxin gave to her, and surprisingly, Venom isn’t angered, doesn’t even seem annoyed.

WE are Venom.” Venom simply says, wears a toothy smile.

Eddie smiles back, mostly out of relief over his reaction. She uses her usual taunting to lighten the mood, but is also seriously humouring him as she says, “We are Veddie, apparently.”

“Oh! Yesss!! You actually said it! And you really meant it!!” Venom’s eyes are wide, his entire face simply lit with the glee he feels over her words. He grins when she rolls her eyes, because he can see her trying not to smile (or blush – so adorable!) “Yes! WE are Veddie! Lethal Protector of San Francisco!”