Love

“Oh. My. Fuckin’. God.” Eddie’s eyes are wide as they witness a blur of black and red tendrils suddenly shooting out from Patrick. They flank him from both sides, some wrapped around his midsection as they clearly try to protect him. She watches the biggest two tendrils lift the couch up and toss it straight at the mutant (whoever the hell this bitch is – probably one of Magneto’s little cult.) Her eyes land on Patrick’s face, his own eyes wide with shock as he watches the tendrils seep back into him.

‘He’s here, Eddie. Toxin is here at last.’ Venom tells her as he watches through her eyes. And he can’t help feeling rather thrilled as he watches the youngling in his very first fight. He can’t help feeling proud as both he and Eddie together watch the mass of red and black slowly then begin to swallow the Detective whole.

“Congratulations, V. But how ‘bout we celebrate after we go save them both?” Eddie tries to move, but he doesn’t let her. He keeps her frozen on that ledge, and she lets out an annoyed growl. “Venom!” She snaps angrily, huffs when he chuckles, but then...

They’re both watching the new symbiote wrap his many tendrils tightly around the mutant woman, so tight that her scream of pain is cut short. Her eyes widen as the creature opens his maw, filled with even more razor-sharp fangs as the symbiote before him (Eddie goddamn swears.) And before Eddie can even begin to react, she’s watching the alien bite off the mutant’s head. Toxin drops the headless corpse carelessly at his feet, glances slowly around, seems to be taking in his surroundings.

‘Doesn’t look like he needs us to save him, Eddie.’ Venom states after a few moments of silence that follows.

Eddie ignores his smugly sarcastic tone. “What is he doin’?” She narrows her eyes in suspicion as she watches Toxin just standing there in the Detective’s wrecked living room.

‘They are most likely talking to one another.’ Venom tells her.

“Well, that’s a good sign, right? I mean, Carnage and Cletus weren’t much for just talkin’ to each other.” Eddie knows she’s nervously rambling. Still, she’s curious as she watches the symbiote now slowly receding back into the poor guy.

‘Come, Eddie. Let’s help ease their confusion.’

“Anybody around?” Eddie asks, glances down over the edge of the rooftop and sees no one, herself.

‘All clear.’ Venom tells her, then, asks, ‘Jump?’

Eddie should be used to the heights and jumping from great ones. Still, she has to take a deep breath before nodding and mumbling her reply, “Jump.”

●●●

“This can’t be happenin’...” Patrick tries to keep his breathing calm. “I mean, not that I’m not grateful for you savin’ me just now, but I’m an officer of the law, and I can’t be goin’ around eatin’ people, I just –“

‘Calm, Pac. I will let no harm come to us.’ The symbiote seeps out enough to form a makeshift hand over his left shoulder.

The alien's deep and gravelly voice is oddly comforting to Patrick, as is the little squeeze he receives to his shoulder. He smiles faintly. “My mom used to call me that... ‘cause I was obsessed with Packman.”

‘I know... Sorry... but we are still hungry.’

“I can’t!” Patrick always did wonder what Venom ate... well, now he fucking knows! He feels the sting in his heart that knows doesn’t belong to him and can’t help feeling instantly guilty. “Please...” He doesn’t know what he’s pleading for when he already knows it’s not even this poor creature’s fault.